Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pepper flakes

Posted by peppernovice 7 b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 22:24

Okay, done the powder thing a couple of times. Here's my first attempt at flakes. It includes bhut jolokia, chocolate scotch bonnets, sweet peppers, and 7 pot (crossed). Here's a pic.

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pepper flakes

Man those look like some deadly flakes! Bet they'll go great on a pizza!!

What did you use to grind them? I have a small blender I use only for peppers.

o

I use a small coffee grinder. I bought it at Wally World for $15 usd.

Tim

o

Coffee grinders are great for turning dried peppers into flakes (or even powder if you are persistent). But, yah, keep the grinders for grinding peppers only.

I'm curious, why did you add sweet peppers to that mix of deadly-hots?

o

My wife and I like to add them to salads, among other things. I also add them to powders. It acts as a filler. If you want more powder, but not quite as much heat.

Tim

o

Tim, Those look like pouches of intestinal destruction, in a good way, of course. I like the idea of mixing powder with the flakes.
What I've been doing to make flakes lately is drying the crap out of my pods and saving them whole or just halved and jarring them, drying them to the point where they are past leathery and down right brittle.
I take out small batches and just crush them with a spoon or in a sandwich bag. Peppers maintain their flavor for much longer if you hold off on grinding or powdering and keep them whole or halved, dried to hell, in a cool dark place.

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER! Hot Pepper Gardening, Recipes and Chile Info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here