Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djoyofficial

Hot pepper pollen

djoyofficial
9 years ago

I have always been fascinated with genetics. As I have slowly been learning how to grow hot peppers, which I absolutely love to consume. My engineering mind can't help but think...... How can I help keep things going in a direction that's good for my taste, my harvest and the future of the species?

This post is geared more towards what's better for my taste. I would love to, one day create a stabile cross of peppers that suit my taste.

Being limited by season, space, number of plants and experience, YET; Having a couple of prolific plants that are blooming like crazy and facing an eminent, icy demise. I started thinking of ways to propagate the gene pool of these strong specimens....

To the point!

Does anyone have experience collecting and preserving hot pepper pollen for use in later years? I am going to make an attempt at preserving some and just wonder if it is even feasible?

dj

Comments (10)

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

Not sure about hot peppers, but there has been studies done on corn pollen that shows that by freezing pollen, you can keep it viable, for a little while at least.

Pollen doesn't seem to last long in storage (the longest the corn pollen lasted was ~3 months when stored at -80C, and by that point only about 5-6% of the pollen was viable). I think you would hard pressed to be able to use pollen from one season to the next.

Here is a link that might be useful: Storing corn pollen

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm... Where does that link/file come from? Seems contradictory to some information I have been reading. Like some pollens can be kept viable while frozen for a year.... Just read this one right here in the hybrid section of GW... Looking for Pepper Pollen experience...

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/hybrid/2005102809003082.html

dj

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The question now is..... Is the pollen from hot peppers bi or trinucleate? Corn, as you stated above is tri, the tri's don't store as easily.... more research necessary.... If anyone knows please chime in..

dj

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Check out this link it may be helpful

Here is a link that might be useful: pepper storing of pollen

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

Very true. Corn =/= peppers and more research is definitely necessary to give you an actual answer. All I have ever found, at least in regards to actual published scientific studies, is tests done with corn pollen. I did find a study done on figs, but after reading it, it seemed to me that it was simply a study done on the viability of fresh pollen.

"Where does that link/file come from?"

That one was published in the Middle East Journal of Scientific Research, and the testing was done by the Department of Botany at the Institute of Science in Nagpur, India. It was the most clearly written study I found.

Of course you can always give it a shot, best of luck!

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

"I started thinking of ways to propagate the gene pool of these strong specimens...."

Darn geeks. Always going for the most "scientifically interesting" answers for what your Grandma already knows: Bring them in and set them by the stove to keep warm. Then you will have fresh pollen in the Spring.

QED

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice!, thanks everyone. I need to get better at narrowing my searches..

Your so right DMF but that's just too eash I always appreciate a smart a@$ remark ðÂÂÂ

dj

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

So is pepper pollen bi or trinucleate? Is it in the link somewhere?

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No it didn't say but, I did finally find an article published by Nebraska University called MOVEMENT OF CROP TRANSGENES INTO WILD PLANTS that stated Capsicum annum have binucleate pollen. It doesn't say anything about Chinese, frutescen, etc...

So , saving pepper pollen does appear to be feasible. Most of what I have read recommends drying the pollen using a desiccant like silica, then sealing it in a container and freezing it. Another note was to allow the container to reach room temp before opening it to use the pollen..

May be worth a shot just for a fun little... Experiment.

dj

This post was edited by djoy on Tue, Sep 30, 14 at 19:13

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

Here is an article that was written 12 years ago on storing cycad pollen. The collection would be different because you would just shake the flower area to get what drops off and you would use smaller paper packets. Keeping the anthers gives you material that can rot, but just pure pollen can be stored cleanly. There is no reason why the proper storage of pepper pollen couldn't last at least 5 years or better. If you used the same procedure and had a liquid nitrogen system, the pollen can last forever! I have used this procedure and used 6 year old pollen that made obvious hybrids.
    http://cycadjungle.8m.com/cycadjungle/Collection%20and%20Storage%20of%20Cycad%20Pollen.html

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz