Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

Wow! price of Hatch chile in Texas!

vieja_gw
16 years ago

Relatives near Austin say Hatch chile sold in grocery stores there is selling for 99 cents a pound & $4/pound to roast! Here in Albuquerque,our local WalMart sells it (Two Guns chile from Hatch, NM) loose for 40-50 cents a pound or $13/35 lb. sack & $5 a sack to roast it ( more expensive in local markets though). How do these prices compare to other areas?

Comments (8)

• the_pepper_guy
    16 years ago

I can't even buy it here. I live in Indiana and I have to have them shipped to me by friends. I have seen the price on the internet and it is expensive i think. Cheaper to have it mailed from friends.

• ardnek710
    16 years ago

It is cheaper for us to actually drive from St. Louis to New Mexico, stay in a motel and drive back to get the chiles than it is to get them shipped to us. Otherwise we cannot get them at all at any store in this area.

It is sad, cause we love them and can't afford to have them shipped..;(

kendra

• setzuanfire
    16 years ago

nmchili.com has 2 16oz jars of roasted green chiles for 12.50, shipping included. Great news for lovers of The Green!
    b

• dangould
    16 years ago

vieja

Are you willing to try to ship some bags to people. Not sure how to ship. anyone have a good method. They would have to ship fresh and not roasted. They might spoil if roasted. I would think fresh would stay good for a week in transit.

St Louis is like almost there. I found a little over 1200 miles to St Louis from Boston. And 1060 miles from St Louis to Albuquerque. Wow we chile heads are really addicts for our chiles. haha.

That is a 2000 mile round trip for chiles. Yummm. For me it is over 4000 miles round trip. with gas prices I wont even estimate. @ 20 mpg that is 200 gallons at almost $3 is $600 for gas. wow. I need to buy some manure and good seeds for next year.

$13 a sack is like giving it away. Incredible. What does the farmer get for all his work.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For a few years we did mail via UPS the sacks of fresh chile to the relatives in Austin x here in Albuquerque. The local UPS sure smells good around chile shipping season!

I don't know what the farmer gets for his chile which is both manual & machine picked I understand now. Not sure how the green left to ripen red later in the season is picked though. They are used for red chile sauce, ristras, etc. Awhile back some chile x Mexico was being sold up here as 'Hatch chile' but don't think it is now as it was illegal & sold cheaper & competing with the 'real' stuff. When we traveled back to NE Iowa awhile back my husband had to take a cooler full of fresh jalapeños & his frozen green chile 'stew'.. talk about being addicted! He will go through nearly the whole 150lbs. of the picked green & frozen (with the skins left on .. easier to peel when thawed!) just by himself in just one year!

Someone could really make $$ by hauling a refr. truckload of the chile back east if it is that difficult to buy there. I double checked our local WalMart & the mild & hot is now 30 lbs./$13 this year-not 35lbs. as I may have mentioned before. They have lots of roasters going full blast in the parking lot for the boxes of chile bought inside the store & roasting paid. The X-tra hot is usually more $ but they didn't even have any of it when we checked.How they keep their fields separated for the different 'heats' of chileI don't know!

• djcorrosive
    16 years ago

Geez, here in FL we got our first (and most likely only) batch of New Mexico chiles (which is extremley rare) and they want 3.99/lb., plus they're all green to boot, we never get red ripe here. I'd be more than happy to pay .99/lb let alone .50! Consider yourself lucky!

• dangould
    16 years ago

for wholesale prices on chiles or pepper other check here and put in your city name. this is from dept of agriculture us gov.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/fv/mncs/terminal.htm

and for more cities around the world and a different type report you can click below.

Does anyone have any ideas on the weight of a bushel of hot peppers. Obviously it will be variety dependent to some degree. But it would be nice to have a ballpark answer on this for comparison.

My gut feeling is that the big boxes are the lower price per pound. I did not see Hatch chiles listed.

Here is a link that might be useful: more different cities here

• ardnek710
    16 years ago

"I double checked our local WalMart & the mild & hot is now 30 lbs./$13 this year-not 35lbs. as I may have mentioned before. They have lots of roasters going full blast in the parking lot for the boxes of chile bought inside the store & roasting paid. The X-tra hot is usually more $ but they didn't even have any of it when we checked."

LOL...I wish our Wal-mart was that useful..:)

kendra

Sponsored