Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rt_peasant

Crunch Sweet Orange Accidental Cross?

rt_peasant
9 years ago

I'm growing Crunch Sweet Orange for the first time this year. I have 3 plants in containers:

The first 2 plants produced peppers like the pepper on the left. Nice flavor, sweet (no heat), very prolific pepper.

The third plant produced peppers like the one on the right. Not expecting it to be hot, I bit off half the pepper, and it lit me up. Hiccups, watering eyes, you know the drill. I think I may have gotten an accidental cross between a Crunch Sweet Orange and a hot pepper. I'm not very good at estimating Scoville units, but I would place it somewhere around a Fresno, i.e., hotter than a jalapeno, less hot than a Serrano. In fact, it's very similar to a Fresno. The flesh is sweet, like a Fresno or a CSO, but the ribs are fiery hot. With the seeds and ribs removed, it sauteed up with fantastic flavor and just a modest amount of heat.

I may have a new favorite hot pepper. I'm going to try growing it out next year. From other threads, it sounds like it may take many years and many plants to get this cross to be stable. Wish me luck.

Comments (8)

Sponsored