Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trfanatic

Late yes, but finally a hint of colour (BJ pic)

trfanatic
14 years ago

I hope the weather holds up for awhile. The 1 year olds are full of green fruit. The 3 year old trees have already produced ripe peppers.

Ravi

{{gwi:1154455}}

Comments (39)

• juicyj
    14 years ago

nice!

• User
    14 years ago

Hey Ravi,

Most of my fruit are ripening up now. So far, my Dorsets have been putting out ripe pods for 3 weeks. The Bhuts and Bih have each put out a ripe pod and the rest are now orange ready to turn red. We have a frost warning coming up this weekend so my fingers are crossed. Hopefully the lake effect in the TO area will give yours a little more time.

The above being said, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these things. I've been freezing my Dorsets. I pulled my first ripe Bhut a few days ago and decided to take the plunge. I cut a small sliver from the center section and popped it on my tongue. I didn't even get one chew in before I spit it out. I've never experienced anything that angry!!! Nice flavour, just a major price to pay for it.

Going to try another slice (with a bowl of ice cream ready) tomorrow. If I never post again you'll know why ;-)))

Bill

• chinamon
    14 years ago

its been two days and ottawapepper hasnt been back....

• User
    14 years ago

Hey chinamon,

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated ;-)))

Actually, I wimped out on trying the Bhut yesterday. Believe it or not (I can hardly believe it) I near keeled over sorting Billy Goat seed yesterday. Sorting the dried seed I pulled off a dried strip of placenta and popped it in my mouth. Gotta see a doctor, something must be wrong with me if I get taken out by a piece of dried Billy Goat pepper!

IÂll try the Bhut in the next day or so and report back (or not).

Bill

p.s. I dodged the frost bullet last night. Forecast is for clear sailing for the next 2 Â 3 days.

• User
    14 years ago

CORRECTION

OK,

I failed biology in high school and IÂm not an obstetrician.

My GF busted a gut when I said I posted a note about tasting dried placenta.

I meant to say "membrane" not placenta! The slice of Bhut I tried must still be messing with my mind!!!

Bill

• trfanatic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bill, you are braver than me my friend.
    Let me know how you make out.

Ravi

• User
    14 years ago

Two days laterÂ

Monday 18:00 - Grabbed a fresh ripe red Bhut off my plant
    Monday 18:10 Â Washed it off
    Monday 18:11 Â Told myself donÂt be a wimp, just take a bite
    Monday 18:12 Â Do it, donÂt be stupid, nah do it, youÂre going to regret it, just do it wimp, etc. etc.
    Monday 18:13 Â OK IÂm doing it but IÂll put a clean pair of shorts in the freezer just in-case
    Monday 18:15 Â did it, wow what an amazing flavour
    Monday 18:15:05 Â Oh crap, eyes crossing
    Tuesday 03:00 Â Oh crap, 991 199, 999, 911Â right, IÂm glad we have universal health care, I may need to use it
    Tuesday 8:00 Â A white rabbit is shaking me saying wake up Dorothy, youÂre not in Kansas anymore
    Tuesday 9:00 Â strange feeling in stomach, still canÂt see properly
    Tuesday 11:00 Â I can taste again, I think?
    Tuesday 13:00 Â Vision back to normal, six fingers and four toes. Never realized that the neighbour was hot
    Tuesday 17:00 Â vision really back to normal, neighbour NOT hot!!!!!
    Tuesday 17:30 Â what idiot put my underwear in the freezer? I hope it was clean!
    Tuesday 18:20 Â Read RaviÂs post and think if I ever meet him IÂm going to smack him! Ravi, youÂve never eaten one?????

Really, tried one on Monday and got one chew in. These things are dangerous. Gargled two quarts of ice cream before I got some relief. IÂm drying my harvest and will use it very sparingly!

Bill

• trfanatic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for that Bill, I swear that is the funniest post I have ever read on this Board. I am going to read that over again when I am having a bad day.
    Of course you can't say I didn't warn you :)
    Yes, I tried to NIBBLE one when I first started planting BJ's 3 years ago. NEVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN. Along the same lines... someone from this Board asked me for some seeds and I sent some to him....the SEEDS burned his hands---they have been dried for 3 years......I always warn everyone--BE VERY CAREFUL AROUND THESE THINGS. They are TRULY dangerous.

Ravi

• chinamon
    14 years ago

lol @ bill
    especially this part...

Tuesday 13:00 Â Vision back to normal, six fingers and four toes. Never realized that the neighbour was hot

haha im howling over here..

• sandpebbles
    14 years ago

LOL...ottawapepper.

now you've got my stomach hurting...no food.

17:00 now back to normal
    17:30 "you mean that thing was real"
    18:20 i should have taken the blue pill...

bent over now. LOL

what was i going to say....

• captaineo
    14 years ago

"Tuesday 17:00 Â vision really back to normal, neighbour NOT hot!!!!! "

FTW!
    lol

• nagajolokia
    14 years ago

Ravi,
    chaala Manchidi, Rumbo poramai. Your crop I envy.
    No Naga/Bhut this year for me. Will be using old stock. Wethaer was worst for me in Michigan.
    At last my sannams have been fruiting profusely but too late. They are not so hot due to weather.

Bill,
    Once you get a hang of Naga like meand Ravi, you would start composing ode in praise. I can't pass a single day without my Naga Chutney pickle.
    Loved your monologue/log. LOL LOL LOL

Nagajolokiaaddict

• User
    14 years ago

Ravi, I forgive you. Just to prove it, email me your address and IÂll send you a box of nice tasty homemade cookies.

sandpebbles, where do you live? IÂm thinking I want to slap you for not reminding me about he Blue Pill after my first post! Nah, send me your address and IÂll send you a box of nice tasty homemade cookies too.

captaineo, WTF? What does FTW mean? And no, NOT hot!!!!!

chinamon, you making fun of my birth defects? Not nice. Birth defects can be nice. My first high school girlfriend had a birth defect. Her breasts developed on her back. No hell to look at but slow dances were amazing!

Seriously, I have 25 Bhut, Bih and Dorsets ripening now. ItÂll take me 3 lifetimes to use them. WhatÂs even scarier is I read on another forum that folks think the Trinidad Scorpion is hotter!!! If so, IÂm going to have to find a toxic waste dump, my one plant has 75+ pods on it! Seeds anyone?

ItÂs been fun folks but I got to end it here. Gotta defrost and sanitize my freezer.

Bill

• chinamon
    14 years ago

lol @ bill. i love your posts. btw i think i dated your ex.

as for finding a toxic waste dump, im surprised your toilet didnt turn in to a toxic waste dump after eating the bhut.

• chinamon
    14 years ago

btw, ladies and gents, how long does it usually take for peppers to ripen or show signs of colour change? the largest pepper on my naga plant is 4x2cm right now and the others are still small but growing.

• sandpebbles
    14 years ago

:o ottawapepper. next you'll say, you really made those
    tasty cookies. looks like a bowl of
    slop to me. LOL...(sooo funny. great)

trfanatic, your plants look amazing. congrats

chinamon after 2 wks of rain with the last being
    non-stop. i emerged to find that one
    of my peppers turned red (thought my
    was toast). don't think that's the
    norm.

• User
    14 years ago

Ravi, your cookies are ready.

chinamon, my high school ex left me for a Bulgarian Camel dance troop back in 1978. Your profile says Canada? Are you in Bulgaria?

BTW (by the way) my friend, intestinal fortitude is one of my strong suits. Explaining to my NOT hot neighbor why I insisted she put a pair of my underwear in HER freezer Monday morning @ 2:00... I Âll plead Bhut fumes messing with my mind.

sandpepples, no slop??? Really, just tasty cookies. No, really, just some nice cookies.

chinamon, my Bhuts ant Bihs are 2 Â 2.5 inches long. I have no idea why you folks in the TO area are having problems when IÂm getting ripe fully grown pods in cold dark wet Ottawa? Must be all the hot air from the MPÂs you send here ;-)))

SERIOUSLY, Ravi, chinamon, sandpepbbles, send me an email.

• chinamon
    14 years ago

bill, email sent.
    i dont even know for sure what pepper i have. i bought the seeds from ebay a while ago and they are supposed to be naga. my plants are indoor under a 400w hps so they shouldnt have trouble bearing fruit.
    here is what my biggest pepper looks like.... any idea what it is exactly?

{{gwi:1228637}}

• green_grocer
    14 years ago

First of all, I want to say I almost wet myself laughing at your post, Bill.

Now that that has been said, I just had my first taste of fresh bhut, and I've eaten about 1/3rd of a pod. It is definately hot, for sure, but nothing quite like I have been expecting. (maybe a little green?) I'm very impressed, yet at the same time a little dissapointed in that it didn't instantly burst my hair into flames and send me screaming for the ice cream (gargled 2 whole quarts? man, thats some talent you've got there... LMAO).

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for being here and sharing in the fun of self-torture. :D

Mike

P.S. - If anyone is interested in trading bhut pods or seeds for what I have, my trade list is mostly updated and I've got plenty of SASBEs waiting. I'd LOVE to be able to make a really good batch of roasted red pepper sauce with bhuts exclusively, but i think it'll be 2 years or more to save up enough peppers.

• trfanatic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bill, I hope you are a Professional Comedian - if not you missed your calling.
    Yum, Yum...address on the way.

Here is an update pic.

Ravi

{{gwi:1228639}}

• User
    14 years ago

Nice Ravi. I'll take a few shots of my embarrassing near death plants and post them later today. Pods are almost all ripe so IÂm not going to try to save the plants.

Later

• florida_country_boy
    14 years ago

Bill, FTW = for the win!

Everyone here at the office got a kick out of your posts, that was too funny. lol

BTW, can I get some of those bhut seeds?

• User
    14 years ago

This is going to be embarrassing. My plants are all jaundiced and getting chewed on by some pest. Pretty dismal looking. IÂd try to rectify the situation but my pods are ripening and the end of the season is nigh.

First, chinamon, it may be a Bhut but it doesnÂt look like any of mine. Actually, it looks more like the Seven Pots I grew this year. HereÂs an earlier shot of one ripening up.

Now for my Bhuts:

This is a shot of one of my Bih pods:

My Dorset Naga is putting out pods one third the size of my Bhuts / Bih. Is this normal or did the seed I grew from just have some bad genes?

I guess IÂm going to have to get use to eating the Bhuts in spite of my previous traumatic experience. An expert posted a thread earlier today declaring "Habanero Peppers Are Obsolete". Wow, who da thunk.

Here are a couple of shots of my yellow Trinidad Scorpion I mentioned earlier. I havenÂt tried one yet. Should be interesting maybe a new thread. I wonÂt forget to have the Blue Pills handy when I do!

Nasty looking buggers eh!

Hey, wait a minute. Maybe that was the White Rabbit posting that obsolete thread to mess with my mind? Curse you Rabbit!

Ending this post singing that old Elmer Fudd classic Kill da Wabbit, Kill da Wabbit". Come on everyone, join it!

Bill

• chinamon
    14 years ago

bill,
    blue pills eh?
    dont forget to call a doctor if you experience an erection lasting longer than four hours. lol

• User
    14 years ago

No, no, no chinamon, not that blue pill!

"You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

You know... The Matrix. First you question my intestinal fortitude and now you question my -------. How dare you!

• sandpebbles
    14 years ago

...there goes my stomach again. LOL

Yurr Surr, Ottawapepper. (you're killing me here...LOL) so brave soul...did Elmer ever get his wabbit. i've heard Eve the white wabbit is really Bugs...Lmao.
    i'd just opt for the blue pill...

P.S. should you need another pill i can reach me at Bliss. haha. by the way, nice plants with yummy looking peppers. good job!

• chinamon
    14 years ago

i would take the red pill.

• User
    14 years ago

chinamon,

OK my friend. You bite into one of the Bhuts I sent you and take a Red Pill.

I can't wait to read about your Electric Adventure Tour*.

Bill

*Electric Adventure Tour: April Wine 1985

• chinamon
    14 years ago

lol i will let you know.

• User
    13 years ago

Hey folks,

One year later so, how are your Bhuts, Bihs, Dorsets doing?

My only Jolokia this year is a Bih Jolokia. I think the seed it grew from was a dud, I can actually eat it!

Just curious how other folks are doing.

Bill

p.s. Ravi, you have mail.

• cmpman1974
    13 years ago

• User
    13 years ago

Beautiful Chris, well done!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Those look delicious!

Josh

• redtailforester
    13 years ago

I finally got a chance to read the original posts on the thread and I shot iced-coffee out of my nose (again). Maybe when next year rolls around I will be able to experience my own crop of Bhuts! Hilarious thread, thanks for the laughs.

• florida_country_boy
    13 years ago

Hey Bill, out of your stock I grew Bhut Jolokia, Paper Lantern Hab, Chinese 5 color, Ethiopian Berbere, and i'm probably forgetting something(7 pot?).

Anyway, started the Bhut last October, so the plant is nearly a year old, and hasnt produced anything yet. It drops every flower, although the plant looks very healthy. I purchased a live Bhut plant from CCN in April, and it is absolutely loaded with pods, and the plant itself is twice as big and almost as tall as me. But yours is still going and I plan to overwinter it, I will get pods!!! LOL

The Ethiopian Berbere is a great pepper and I love the taste, one of my favs. However, one of the EB plants is producing yellowish-brown pods, and from looking at your pictures above, I think it crossed with your yellow scorpion.

I just started the 5-color and 7-pot, so nothing to report on those, and I will try the lantern in a few days, its getting its first ripe pod now.

• User
    13 years ago

Hi florida_country_boy,

Hmmm, not sure what to say, strange the Bhut always drops it's flowers? Is it in the same environment as the other plants? Maybe the seed you started from had some suicidal gene combination? I'm growing from the same seed stock as yours this year and have loads of pods about a week or so away from ripening. Already pulled a couple of eager ones that ripened last week.

Glad you like the Ethiopian Berbere. The parent plant I collected seed from was started from seed I kindly received from fiedlermeister. With respect to the yellow one, I know it didn't cross with the Scorpion because I didn't grow the EB last year. The EB seeds were collect from one I grew two years ago. Now, I think I may know what you have though. I grew the Scorpion in close proximity to the 7 Pot. I'm growing a 7 Pot this year from seeds collected last year and it's maturing yellow/orange, not red. Is is possible you started a 7 Pot instead of a second EB? Ate a ripe one yesterday and it still has a killer heat and nice taste.

Let me know how the 5 color and 7 Pot you just started make out.

Bill

• trfanatic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't see this. WOW, Chris those are beautiful!!!

Ravi

• florida_country_boy
    13 years ago

Hey Bill, your Bhut is in the same mix as my CCN Bhut, but yours in a 31 gal rubbermaid container, and the CCN is in a raised bed. It did get stunted for about a month when it was little, so maybe thats the problem.

I will send you a pic of the EB plants, I do not beleive I mixed up the seeds.

• florida_country_boy
    13 years ago

Hey Bill, I should complain more often, I'm getting pods on it now!

Hey, went to a hot fest the other day, they had a bhut that was probably two years old, about as tall as me. They wanted 350.00 for it! I laughed my out of that booth!