Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthworm73

Sowing Crushed Red Pepper Seeds

earthworm73
16 years ago

has anyone tried to sow the cayenne seeds from the bottle of crushed red peppers you get from the grocery store?

Comments (10)

• the_pepper_guy
    16 years ago

I'm not sure about seeds from crushed red peppers, but I know that in fresh peppers you buy at the store they usually use a preservative to help the peppers keep longer on the shelf and that makes the seeds basically worthless. I guess it is worth a try unless someone knows for sure.

Just my two sense!

Keep us posted if you do it and how it turns out.

• fiedlermeister
    16 years ago

Depends on how the peppers were dried. Too high a temperature kills the seeds. I have tried seeds from several different purchased dried seeds and some germinated and some didn't.

john

• dangould
    16 years ago

if they were dried naturally in the sun then some should germinate. if they were dried in ovens then it will not work. Ovens are now being used more often to dry them. the only way to know is to try them. I would try at least 30 to 100 seeds on a wet paper towel and see what happens.

You can also buy fresh hot peppers in the food stores and use seeds from those. Usually seeds will germinate on even green peppers when fresh.

• the_pepper_guy
    16 years ago

Well, when I posted I guess I should have stated that I live in Indiana and we do not have any "REAL" mexican shops here, so the crushed peppers you buy in the seasoning section usually suck. I guess I should have stated that in my first post.

Hendrik...I would imagine that if you bought from the right source, the seeds would be great to grow.

• t-bob
    16 years ago

this is off topic, but do you live on the west or east side of cascades to be able to grow palms. i'm guessing west side (2 big snows). what types of palm? outside? i'm in the san juan islands and love trying "odd" things. good luck with yhour peppers----bob

• nuwanda
    16 years ago

I sowed 15 seeds from dried imported asian long red peppers and 3 of them have already sprouted. I'm guessin these particular peppers were dried the old fashioned way, laid out in the sun.

Anyhoo, they sprouted in 5 days and I'm expecting more to pop.

• fiedlermeister
    16 years ago

Or dried at low temps. I dry my peppers in a dehydrator at low temps and the seed from those pods readily germinate.

• Karilll
    9 years ago

Ohhhh my goodness I hope they don't grow. I was told that if you put pepper in a gopher hole they'll go away. Like a non thinking person I poured a bottle of store bought red crushed peppers down the hole under my cemented porch. Now I'm praying to Jesus and God that they don't grow. Hindsight : - (

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

I think you will be fine Karilll. I have to chuckle a bit (nothing personal) as in my very limited experience growing peppers, they can be pretty finicky.

Even if they miraculously sprouted, IMO it would take yet another miracle for them to stick their heads out of your cemented porch.

Did the pepper do the trick
    on the gopher?

dj

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths