Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good peppers for salsa?

Posted by PunkRotten 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 0:11

Hi,

WHat are some good mild-medium peppers for salsa. Things like Jalapeno, Frenso peppers, Serranos are ok. I am gonna try some Lemon Drop peppers, and if I can get my hands on some Bulgarian carrot peppers I'll try them too. Basically I am looking for good salsa peppers but nothing too hot. Serrano and jalapeno heat is good, even slightly hotter than a Serrano is ok too.

How hot are lemon drops and bulgarian carrots? Feel free to list some other peppers. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good peppers for salsa?

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 1:46

You might want to try a Hot Hungarian Wax pepper.

o

IMO, Bulgarian Carrot has a bit more heat than people give it credit. I've grown out a few different seed sources and all have had more heat than I expected. It wasn't serrano-hot, but it kicked closer to a serrano than a jalapeno. It does add a little bit of fruity/sweet, but not a huge amount. Seedy little things...thin-ish flesh.

o

Are the hungarian wax good for salsa? I have seen them before and the heat is not too bad. I just don't like anything hot like cayenne and tabasco and hotter.

nc-crn - yeah if the heat is close to serrano that is fine with me. Just trying to find good salsa peppers and interesting ones that add a extra twist. Reason I thought of carrot peppers and the lemon drop is I hear they add fruity/citrus flavors.

Problem is I get too many inconsistent answers all over the web. Some claim a pepper is a certain heat and others say it is milder or hotter.

o

For me, Lemon Drop seemed at least as hot as Cayenne. It does have a nice flavor. One pepper I have become very fond of is Rocoto...very sweet, but also quite hot...not what your asking for heat-wise, but in small quantities adds a nice flavor to dishes.
One medium-hot I like is Georgia Flame. It's not very fleshy, but has a good bite without being overpowering.
For a stronger flavor, you could try one of the reduced-heat Habanero types like Zavory or Aji Dulce 2. I've grown the latter and it's very fruity with just a hint of heat.
Growing conditions can affect heat intensity so that is probably why you get different opinions on heat level(besides one's own perception of heat). JME, HTH

o

If you're looking for something milder than Jalape�o, I would suggest Rain Forest or stick with the Fresnos. Rain Forest has a nice citrusy flavor but thinner flesh.
John A

o

Punrotten: Hot Hung wax get confused with several other varieties to include banana peppers. I can't take very hot peppers but I love these canned and on sandwiches. I am not sure how they would work for salsa specifically as far as the consitency, but the heat is relatively low. Way lower than cayenne for instance. If you pick them just as they begin to ripen, they are even less hot but still very tasty.
Bruce

o

My new favorite for salsa this year is Santa Fe Grande. The heat is similar to a jalapeno, but there is a sweetness to it that a jalapeno doesn't have. It was more productive for me than Fresno, which is another one I tried for the first time this year.

Bonnie

o

Thanks Bonnie I will consider that one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here