Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Varieties That I Need to Add.

seysonn
9 years ago

Holiday seed swap is underway. Are you in it ?

I have few varieties that I am going to chip in, that may be useful for newbies like myself. But I also would like to add a few to what I already have.

WHAT I HAVE:
Red & Orange Habs Lemon Drop Chinese 5 Color Manzano Thai Hot Poinsettia Shishito Jalapeno Hungarian HW Bishops Crown (Did not ripen). Cayenne.

Now WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR:
What I am looking for something in SHU range of 50k to 300k. But I am also interested in varieties that will ripen in our PNW not-so-hot summer. My habs, Jal, Thai Hot ... did ok . Manzano hardly made it. but Bishop's Crown still green and I am not holding my breath.
I have a preliminary wish list that I will submit to the swap:
:: Chocolate Hab <.> Scotch Bonnet + [ 2 to 3 more of your Recommendations],

Thanks for your help in advance.

Seysonn.

PS: I am not interested in any sweet peppers and/or super hots.

Comments (28)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Fatalii

Also fatalii.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dennis.. Fatalii is it.
    That is a good one that I had been considering before.

I need possibly couple more.

Seysonn

• jtight
    9 years ago

Habanero de Arbol

Grew it this yr a/ have enjoyed it. Will be a 2-3 plant staple going fwd

Johnny

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Aji Crystal is a good one to have. Very nice citrusy flavor and not super spicy (within your lower range).

Red Mushroom... Habanero flavor without high habanero heat (still hot but not super hot and big pods).

So many good ones to choose from. Both are in the swap.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 22:34

• pepperseedman
    9 years ago

Hot paper lantern is another good one to consider. Its in the habanero range heat wise but is very prolific and ripens earlier than most habs. Flavor is good IMO also. This is one of the varieties I'll be sending in seeds for the holiday swap.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks a bunch, guys. I think I am all set with my choices, which will be as follows:'

Fatalii, Habanero de Arbol, Aji Crystal, Choc Hab, Paper Lantern. Scotch Bonnet,
    There goes my wish list. I am going to pack some of my own to send in for other newbies likes myself.
    Probably I will contribute 2 times as much as I wish to receive. That is only fair and proper, me thinks.

Seysonn

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Taste wise you need to try the Starfish pods,some do have abit of a kick but the overall flavor is very good.
    When dried its almost candy like and makes a great ice cream topping for quality vanilla bean and fresh banana's

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you TNKS

I looked it up. Brazilian Starfish sounds pretty good to me. Probably I will grow it. It looks similar to Bishops Crown (Also C. Bacc). But my BCs did not get ripe in my locations. How is Brazilian Starfish in terms of ripening ? . So then BS might be a good replacement for BC that I am zapping.

Seysonn

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Not too sure on the Brazilian Starfish for me. I had lots of pods but they were mostly small ( a few big but not too much). I probably would not grow it again. The Bishop Hat or Frapes Chapeau is more bigger, more productive, and the pods turn very fast even if you pull them green.

I would go with Aleppo. I believe someone was going to send seeds. That one you would enjoy.

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Agree with the size of the starfish, they are smaller. I did get quite a few starfish to ripen, but I did not get very many bishops crowns. It seems the crown is a bigger payoff if you can grow them to maturity.

I have aleppo, choc hab, scotch bonnet, fatalii, and starfish being shipped to the swap. You should be covered for the seeds you mentioned here. Let me know if you don't get any of these that you wanted.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

PG is right. You should be covered. I'm sure you will get what you want... and then some. If not, most of us can help you out, including myself.

This years swap is going to be bigger than the last. Many, many new varieties for all to share.

Newbies better be signing up.

You can never have too may different chili peppers to grow and choose from.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Guys , appreciated. Is this a GUrreat forum or what ?!

So I am done with my wish list. I have heard a lot about Allepo too. I should include that one as well.

BTW: my Bishops Crowns are still out there with a lot of good size GREEN pods. I will leave them til before the frost. Then I will pull them and hang them upside down.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Serrano. I know they're considered boring by many, but they produce very early and all season long, and have a fine mildly hot flavor when fully ripened red.

I use them in everything. You have to to keep up with them. ;-)

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mecdave,

I grow HHW, Fresno and Jalapeno, instead. I like their texture better than Serrano. I harvest and use those mostly green in everyday cooking, salads, salsa or just munching..

Anyway, thanks everybody for helping me out. My wish list is complete and going Johnny's way today, along with the seeds pack that I am donating.

Seysonn

Seysonn

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BUMP

Waiting for my Xmas package to arrive ( from Johnny aka pepper clause :-) ).
    Chances are that I might get few more and surprises. So I will give you a final report on my new addition for 2015 season.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Seysonn

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Moment Of Truth.

My Package, sent by Johnny arrived yesterday.

I have got 3 on my wish list :
    --ALEPPO, AJI CRYSTAL , FATALII (YELLOW).

All in all, I got about 37 varieties and close to 50 packets :How come ? because I got more than one of some varieties. For example I got 7 packets of FISH PEPPER that was not even on my list . Thanks Bruce ! hehe

I should mention that there a a few that is some interest to me.
    But with most I won't have time and place to plant them. That is why I kept my wish list short.

So anyway. It is over. I thank Johny one more time for his effort.

Seysonn

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT:
    Thanks Ronny . One of those on my list was donated by you (Aji Crystal). I also got 2 more seed packet from you:

--- Red Squash: I will definitely grow that one. It should have been on my list. (Nice shape, SHU of 100 -200k, perfect)
    --- Chenzo : Another interesting one. With Serrano heat range (50 k). Also it is said to be good in pot, is compact ...

This post was edited by seysonn on Tue, Dec 23, 14 at 8:01

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

Hi Seysonn, I would be happy to send you my extra chocolate habs in trade for your shishitos. You can email me at missbeeps1@yahoo.com if you're interested. I can send a s.a.s.e. when I send the hab seeds.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

There is one pepper that stands out with every one who tries it.
    Cumari I got seed in a trade last year and so far everyone who has tried it has said its the best tasting hot pepper the ever tried. I really mean everyone. It has a nutty flavor I've never seen in any pepper, Pea size so no need for grinding .Just crumble a few over food and enjoy.
    Thanks to Scorpion John as he sent it as an extra I was not considering and will not only be growing it myself next year but have to start plants for every one I turned on to this wonderful pepper from the jungles of Brazil that should be grown by all as you will never see it commercially due to its small size and labor involved in picking.

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Dave,

I'm glad you liked the Cumari, It is one of my favorites.I sent it out to a bunch of people last year. I got it from Smokemaster a couple years ago

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Seysonn

Glad you got those. You should enjoy the Chenzo, compact, good producer, great taste and over-winters well. The others will be great to grow too.

What are you missing that you really want?

We all got multiples of something. Mine was 12 packs of starfish.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Well Thanks smokemaster Cumari one of the best peppers out there for flavor and the perfect heat, more people should grow this pepper. I compare the taste to Hot Pine nuts. Wow! No pepper has that taste and it will never go commercial. Its a wild pepper too, so Mother Natures gift to us all.
    And thanks john for turning me on to such a fine plant to spread around to fellow pepper loving friends.
    Seysonn you should grow this one,it might be just what your looking for in a hot pepper

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Seysonn, I just saw this. I noticed Veedabeeps has offered the Chocolate Habanero to ya. Haha! Well, if you still need it let me know. I posted it on the Swap thread.

Scorpion_John,
    I'd love to try the Cumari if you have more you wouldn't mind trading. I wanted to get in on the trade offer you had up recently. I felt I didn't have enough interesting ones to offer at the time. I do have other vegetable/herbs etc.. too. And I also got extra's in the swap as well. There are a few I really wanted to get.

I've got to get my list updated. Boy, that can be a hassle too!!! I was serious about doing grow-outs for a future swap if there is an interest in it. When I get my stuff caught up I may start a thread on the subject. I think the time to start the subject is now, at planning time.

But Seysonn, let me know if you and Veedabeeps have everything worked out. I've got a good amount of seed in there to split it up with ya. And as I said in the Swap thread, no need to worry about an SASE.

~Garret

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave, thanks for your suggestion.
    Size wise , it sounds like TEPIN pods that I got from a Mexican grocery. They are perfectly round, red about the size of fresh green pea. I wanted to test seeds viability and now ended up growing one, that germinated 2 days ago. They are not as hot though. But have good flavor.

Seysonn

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is one of my new addition, already germinated.
    It is a TEPIN. You can see an actually dried pot, next to the quarter and the sprout. I was doing this as a test, since I bought the pods from a Mexican store. But now I will just let it be.

Seysonn

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Cumari

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Seysonn

Did you get any superhots? I got some from the swap to send you.

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ronny, thanks again.

Yes I've got few superhots. like : Trinidad Scorpion Butch ,,,White Ghost ,,, Trinidad Douglah. Probably I will grow TSB.

I think your Red Squash replaces Scotch Bonnet for me and I'll just forget the habs. I already have my own RED and ORANGE. So my wish list is a history. hehe

Seysonn

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Cool. The Red Squash is a good variety, just not as hot as habs. You should grow out the Choc Hab.
    Also grow out the White Ghost as it has a different flavor than the TSB.

Sponsored