Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperchuck

What About the Powders

pepperchuck
9 years ago

What's your favorite recipe to make your powder?

I just made a batch of sauce and strained it. I took the pulp and added soy sauce and ginger, I'm going to let it sit in the fridge for a couple days then it's hitting the dehydrator. I think its gonna be good.
*the sauce was just a blend of superhots (ghost, scorpion, chocolate scorpion) and a dash of vinegar to help blend. So no extra flavors came from that to effect the powder.

Comments (5)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Well, why wouldn't you want to just dehydrate the whole/halved, pods?
    Just a question.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Yeah, I prefer my powders to be pure pepper to add to recipes as I cook, instead of the other way around.

For instance, about every other weekend I take Bells, Poblanos, tomatoes, onion slices, and a can of either pineapple rings or peaches (including the syrup), and marinate them with a couple oz of Soy Sauce and grated Ginger.

After a couple hours I'll drain the bag into a sauce pan, add some BBQ sauce, and simmer it to reduce by half. I'll then reserve some to add back to the fruit and veggies after they come off the grill. The rest will be used as a glaze on whatever meat I grill.

Now here's where the powders come in. I use a Mild smoked powder in any recipe that calls for chili powder, including my basic meat Rub blend of spices. That gets applied to the meat a couple hours before grilling. Once the meat, veggies, and fruit come off the grill, I'll blend the reserved sauce back into the fruit/veggies.

Then throughout the week I'll slice up some of the meat and fruit/veggies, throw them in a skillet and spice them up with whatever blend of smoked powder I'm in the mood for. Usually Medium during the week, Superhot on weekends with beer. Serve on tortillas with a bit of sour cream.

It don't get any better than that. :-)

PS Getting tired of the Fajitas? Dress up a cheap frozen pizza with the meat/fruits/veggies, add some cheese, and of course more powder.

This post was edited by mecdave on Sat, Oct 25, 14 at 7:55

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do have my stashes of pure powders and dry pods to make more pure powder as needed but I always end up with this pulp by product from sauce making and it's been fun making spice blends with it. I actually added some roasted garlic clove to the party last night that I think will kick it up a level. Once dehydrated and powdered i'll add some coarse salt and have something perfect to toss right on anything as a finishing seasoning.

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BTW dave, that sounds insanely delicious.. ( both ideas but especially the first)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Chuck wrote:

I always end up with this pulp by product from sauce making and it's been fun making spice blends with it.

----------------------
    O! I see what were saying. I have tried to utilize that pulp too. As we know is quite mild but makes good seasoning. Especially if it is seasoned the way you like.

Talking about hot sauce: I made a small batch ( 1 pint) by fermenting. It took about 10 days from start to finish. BUT it is the best hot sauce I have tasted ; NO VINEGAR TASTE. I should make another batch. I recommend trying it. I got the idea from Kevin. Actually it is the same old world pickling by "Lacto Fermentation". I also made some pickles (cukes, peppers); The same direction and recipe.

Sponsored