Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
harvest - browns reds and ID

Posted by stefpix 7b Brooklyn NY (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 0:54

I am getting a really good harvest of C. chineses
hete are some photos
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151424660768066.581748.631078065&type=1&l=56f5dc5588

I wanted to ID this one
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151424661558066&set=a.10151424660768066.581748.631078065&type=1&theater
it is a dark brown that is very wrinkly. Is it Jamaican Chocolate Brown? What does it look like?

Seeds were from peppers bought from ethic markets.

I have 2 Manzano (C. pubescens) that are starting to produce peppers. Do they take a long time to ripen?

Also I started some Fatalii and Wiri Wiri that I will start indoors.

I have about 50 peppers from 2 Chinense plants.
I have one plant that I bought as a Jalapeno plug, but the peppers are a lot smaller than reg jalapenos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: harvest - browns reds and ID

Regarding your ID question, it could be a Jamaican Chocolate Brown. It could also be Chocolate Habanero, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet or a 7 Pot Douglah. Hard to say from the picture.

If you don't die or really really really want to die after tasting it, it's not a Douglah ;-)

For reference, here's a shot of a Chocolate Scotch Bonnet I grew this year.

o

Oh, a nice harvest BTW. You have a nice mix.

Bill

o

• Posted by stefpix 6b NY %5BBrooklyn NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 23:41

Thanks Ottawapepper!

I do not think it is a scotch bonnet as it does not have that mushroom / bonnet shape. It is similar to mine, so I guess it is a Jamaican Chocolate brown. Also has thick walls and I have seen SB that have thinner walls.

Jamaican guy at Chile FIesta at Brooklyn Botanic Garden gave me a yellow Jamaican Scotch bonnet. It had the real squat shape. I used it for seeds. He said Scotch Bonnets are less hot than Caribbean Reds and have more flavor. He said Caribbean Reds are just HOT! I also got some Fatalii for seeds. They feel less hot than my reds and browns.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 10:34

Hey Ottawa, what do you do, do you armor all those peppers before you photo them?
Bruce

o

• Posted by stefpix 6b NY %5BBrooklyn NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 11:42

Thanks Ottawapepper!

I do not think it is a scotch bonnet as it does not have that mushroom / bonnet shape. It is similar to mine, so I guess it is a Jamaican Chocolate brown. Also has thick walls and I have seen SB that have thinner walls.

Jamaican guy at Chile FIesta at Brooklyn Botanic Garden gave me a yellow Jamaican Scotch bonnet. It had the real squat shape. I used it for seeds. He said Scotch Bonnets are less hot than Caribbean Reds and have more flavor. He said Caribbean Reds are just HOT! I also got some Fatalii for seeds. They feel less hot than my reds and browns.

o

stefpix, I have had pods that were squat in shape, just not the one ripe enough when I too the photo.

Bruce, yes, the pods do look a bit shiny and plastic ;-) I use a light box/tent to shoot pod photos. It has to do with the diffused light and the color balance my camera defaults to (I'm a lazy shooter most of the time so I don't adjust it).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here