Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillseeker

Organizing SASE Seed Swap Questions

hillseeker
10 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone point me in a general direction for information on the best way to organize a group sase seed swap? I really want to organize a swap for Canadians to share the hot pepper seeds, however I am running really behind and don't have much time to think up or write the rules/instructions. I am concerned about what happens if everyone doesn't get exactly what they wanted.

I had found a group swap post and instructions prior but can't find it now.

Also if you are Canadian, and want to join let me know. I am really hoping to get the info out early next week so the seeds arrive by Christmas!

Comments (15)

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

Hi, There is someone who posts an annual swap for Tomatoes & Peppers on this forum. Her handle is hmacdona, and if you search here on this forum, you should be able to contact her and get information on setting these swaps up. Failing that, there is a young man origami_master, on the Canadian Garden Exchange Forum who used to run one...maybe he still has instructions around. Search that forum for exchanges or swaps...there are quite a few.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

There are two individuals that have been hosting pepper seed exchanges here on the pepper forum for several years.

Heather who is in Calgary Canada hosts a GREAT swap (pepper and tomato) each year and as mentioned above goes by hmacdona. She has many participants from GW forums as well as several other forums/groups she belongs too.

Bonnie from Colorado also has been hosting a GREAT annual pepper swap for a number of years that many here partake in.

Lots of info too can be found on the 'Round Robin' forum, which many group swaps take place.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Heather (aka The Seed Fairy) handles (IIRC) the larger swap with around 120 participants. I've often wondered just how she manages to pull it off. And of course she'd know all about the ex-Royal Mail.

• John A
    10 years ago

I haven't seen anything from Heather yet. Is she doing her trade again this year?
    John A

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I sure hope so. I'm already preparing. Many little plastic packets!

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

I sent Heather an email this morning and asked if she was hosting a swap this fall. I'll let everyone know when I hear from her....

Sandy

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. If I remember correctly, Heather's swap was wrapping up around this time last year. I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out Sandy.

Alex

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

No, I'm pretty sure that it went until Thanksgiving. But it did at least start in October so we're running late.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

As far as my 2014 pepper seeds goes, I am all set. Thanks to Tim that completed my list by his most generous offer. As a result , I have more than needed seeds of MANZANO. If anybody wants some I can spare. I also have some extra SHISHITO , that I have collected from store bought peppers. So there is no guarantee about the purity. I did not grow any peppers worth saving seeds from past season.

As Tim has mentioned, we should try to pay it forward.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

LOL, it sure feels like it is Thanksgiving-time what with the early frosts we've been having.

Actually, last year the swap in question began in September, and seeds had to be mailed in by the third week in October.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread from last year's fantastic swap.

• northern_hab
    10 years ago

I to have been keeping an eye out for Heathers seed swap. It worked out very well last year.

• mspeppajo
    10 years ago

I am still trying to find the ones on my list !!!! Let me know what is going on with the swap/ trade!!! I can use all the help I can get !!! LOL !!!
    Thanks y'all !!

Jo

• jtight
    10 years ago

In the advent that the "normal" resources who facilitate this are unavail to do so, how do we want to go about it? My assumptuon is someone takes on the roll of "seed master" a/ collects from everyone then distributes accordingly.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Has anyone participated in the seed exchange on the thechileman.org site?

• jtight
    10 years ago

See following thread: FirstHarvest Seed Swap

Thismembername set this up; however, not sure it is has concluded or not.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz