Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomazo

Problems with pepper plants (pics)

tomazo
15 years ago

I'm new around here, so I hope the pics will be displayed correctly..

I'm also new to exotic peppers, and this year I've tried to grow Chocolate Habanero, Antilles Caribbean, and Naga Morrich.

I started the seeds indoors at April and even though I was overdue planting them out, the plants took off really really well.

I could actually see the difference every day.

the problems started a little later:

Choc. Hab. which was the biggest, started developing brown spots on the huge leaves and all the new growth was small, wrinkly dry and falling off. not to mention the flowers all falling off.

Naga: had deep green leaves with brittle brown edges, the plant itself was also deformed.

Antilles: had the same growth problem the others had.

all were growing in 25 liter containers and were given water at the first sign of wilting.

I wasn't happy about the soil though, as it wasn't draining fast enough.

I was feeding them with Biobizz's Biogrow not regularly.

I'm sure that you guys can help me understand what to do better for next year based on the attached pics.

the pics were taken around the end of September.

Thank you !

Tom.

Chocolate Habanero :

Naga Morrich:

Antilles Caribbean:

Comments (9)

• srullens
    15 years ago

looks like tobacco mosaic disease, to me I don't think there is a cure for it either.

• rootdoctor
    15 years ago

Need more info on the planting mix. Looks like a combination of PH / nutrient /heat issues to me. What direction is the wall facing that the plants are against?

• nc_crn
    15 years ago

Looks like a combo of things to me...

First, you're probably watering too much. The wilting and your reaction to give it water should probably only be done 6-9am or in the evening when the sun is down and the plant has had a chance to escape the summer sun. Wilting is normal when it's hot and the plants are under stress (stress doesn't necessarily mean danger, btw).

Also, your plants are up against some white walls. That's going to reflect some additional light/radiation/warmth back on the plant. Given your plants are in pots, I'd avoid using those black or any dark pots because they will heat up really fast. Peppers roots can take some abuse, but they don't like to be extremely hot.

Basically, I believe your plants are under environmental stress (heat in root system and too much water). There seems to be nutrient burn symptoms along with heat damage burning the plants.

• nc_crn
    15 years ago

Oh yes, I should also mention that when there's too much water in the container the plant will also wilt no matter the time of day.

Basically, the roots need oxygen to do it's thing and while peppers in containers need more water than field plants, the pepper roots still don't like to be constantly top-to-bottom wet.

• byron
    15 years ago

Looks like to much water and too much fertilizer
    Poor drainage

• tomazo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hey all,
    thanks for all the comments..

I'm afraid it is not heat problems. the pots were initially located in a group of five pots, while the outer ones were taped with aluminum foil to keep the sun away.
    Moreover, I've put up a shading net to keep the really hot noon sun away.

After things got a but windy and chilly I moved them to the present location, which is against a wall facing west, so they won't break off.

I have little hope for these ones.
    What I want to ask you all is:

1. What are you using for seedling growth (mix and fert) ?

2. what are you all plating in ? I used a store bought planting mix which was disastrous to my opinion - full of old processed wood, and a resulting very poor drainage.

3. What is your fertilizing schedule, because I was VERY skimpy on the fertilizer until it started going wrong, so I can hardly believe it was burning the roots.

Thanks again,

Tom.

• shelbyguy
    15 years ago

its fertilizer burn and a pH out of whack

1. seedlings dont need fertilizer. leave them alone. you wouldnt feed a baby solid adult food, so why feed adult food to your plants?

2. that was more likely your pot than the soil mix.

3. depending on what is in your soil mix, fertilize /as needed/ and yes your pics show a plant that got WAY WAY WAY too much fertilizer that was mixed way too strong, and not pH balanced.

peppers are NOT heavy feeders. not by any stretch of the imagination. LESS IS MORE :)

• tomazo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your comments..
    I'll implement them next season.

About container soil mixes,
    You're mixing your own with perlite compost and stuff, or buy whole bags ?
    if so, what ratios are you using ?

Tom.

• rootdoctor
    15 years ago

Fertiloam red label potting soil 1 30lb.bag
    A good "professional" potting soil with lots of woody, bark chunks. 1 30 lb bag
    Composted cow manure 1 30 lb bag
    3 gallons earthworm castings
    3 gallons perlite.

Mix and let sit for atleast a week.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living