Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtoucan

Black Cuban, Numex, white- what is what in my garden

newtoucan
10 years ago

I planted some Black Cubans and Numex Twilight last year. I'm not sure which is which. I have all purple flowers on one plant. On another plant, I have all white flowers with purple around the outer petals. Both plants have deep purple peppers ripening to red.

I also have another pepper that have cayenne shaped peppers but they remain all white.

Any help on what the names are?

Comments (12)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

A short googling tells me that :

--- black cuban has purple flowers
    --- Numex has white flowers.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Pics would help if you could post of the flowers and peppers.

Mark

• User
    10 years ago

Based on growing the two for a few years, seysonn is correct.

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a photo of what I think is the Black Cuban. Does this look right?

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of another pepper with the white flowers, but purple peppers ripening to red.

I have a lot of these peppers and also need recipes now. How do these taste to you?

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

The Black Cuban has purple flowers with fruits that grow upright and appear so dark in purple color that they appear almost black. The foilage can also appear almost black. The first picture is your Black Cuban and the second one is the Numex which will start out as purple fruit and then they change colors until the finally reach red. They are generally small peppers.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of a Black Cuban and a Numex Twilight. The Black Cuban will have purple blooms and the Twilight will have white ones. The Black Cuban is on the top.
    Bruce

• User
    10 years ago

toucan,

Where did you get your seeds from?

Based on your source, I may be able to explain the NuMex plant. Your Black Cuban (also a NuMex) looks true.

Bill

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure I got my seeds from Esox07 as he was so generous and sent me a nice variety last year. I also participated in the Pick a Peppa swap and probably got my white pepper from there. These were two very generous Pepper people who I'm sure spent a lot of time, energy and money sorting and sending out seeds. Thank you.

• User
    10 years ago

toucan,

When I saw your pictures I suspected that you got your seeds from me through Heather's annual pepper & tomato swap or through Bruce (esox07).

At the end of the 2011 season I unknowingly distributed a few packets of crossed seed. Bruce started a few of my seeds and was the first to notice some weren't consistent. I got the same results a few weeks later starting my 2012 crop. I alerted members who may have received my rogue seeds via a post last year.

I'm 99% sure your non-Black Cuban (your 2nd photo) is a Twilight / Black Cuban cross. I doubt it's stable so if you saved seeds it's a crap shoot as to how the next generation will develop.

Here are two shots of my plant last year.

I hate being the source of seeds that did not grow true. I understand that it won't make up for a season growing out something that was not what you expected BUT, if you're interested I can forward a few NuMex Twilight seeds I know will grow true. Send me an email if you're game.

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 17:27

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just saw the post. Thanks for the info. I'm not worried about any crosses. How do these peppers taste to you? What dishes do you use them in?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I dont think most people use them for eating. I have tasted the Twilight and they have a good bite to them. Probably more heat that I care for in a raw pepper. My mother used them quite a bit from the plant I gave her last year and liked them. The Twilights are rather small and have a lot of seeds. I never did taste a Black Cuban.
    Bruce