Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

Spicy bacon chocolate

judo_and_peppers
9 years ago

I'll give you a second to let the word combination in the title sink in a little bit. it's a great combo. I don't know why I've never posted this recipe.

1 bag bacon jerky
2 bags chocolate chips (I use 1 bag hersheys milk chocolate 1 bag hersheys special dark)
1/8th tsp of very extremely finely ground superhot powder, or however much you feel is appropriate. a tiny bit goes a long way.

put bacon jerky it in the food processor to get it broken up into chunks.

get a bowl that fits inside another bowl (or a large measuring cup that fits inside a pot, whatever works) to melt the chocolate in. the idea is to put the chocolate chips in the smaller bowl, and fill the larger one with freshly boiled water, so you don't have to worry about the chocolate burning. or you could just do it in the microwave, whatever floats your boat.

whatever method of melting the chocolate chips you prefer, I've found the best way to do it is melt the chocolate, stir in the pepper powder and get it really well distributed, then stir in the bacon chunks

spoon into a muffin pan with paper cups, and put in the freezer. you don't wanna fill the muffin cups, at about a half inch fill, this recipe will make about 12 pieces in your average muffin pan.

I have no idea how long these last in the fridge before going bad, they never make it that long. I make this for parties sometimes, and they freakin disappear. I've done it without the bacon, and I've also done it with rice crispies to stretch it a bit further. if you do it without the bacon, add a bit of sea salt.

I know extremely well versed chefs who have told me "it's best to leave chocolate to the pros" on account of how difficult it is to get it perfect, so I don't care if it's not perfect. it'll be a little melty, but so what? it's still delicious.

how else can you get so much joy for under $10?

Comments (14)

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Maybe I will try it with actual bacon. The bowl you put the chocolate in has to be absolutely dry. A speck of water will make the chocolate grainy.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

What's the big deal about bacon? I eat maybe 4 slices a year, it has to be bendy, not brittle, but not overly fatty. I like it better wrapped around scallops or jalapenos than with eggs and toast, but it's still not something I can eat very much of.

A local ice cream place makes maple-flavored ice cream with bacon bits (real maple syrup and bacon from local farms) - that just sounds gross to me. Now, SAUSAGE and maple, there's a combo, but not in ice cream.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess it's not for everyone. but I love bacon, I love chocolate, and I love spicy things. it's no surprise that the combination of all of the above is, to me, magical.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I guess we all have different tastes. No quarrel there.
    I do like bacon, I do like chocolate, I do like hot pepper but I won't like a mix of bacon, chocolate and hot pepper.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

> "What's the big deal about bacon?"

COMMUNIST!

Oh wait. Even communists like bacon.

ALIEN !!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

BACON is another name for Pig's Belly. hehe

I like it next to my sunny side ups, now and then.
    Nothing wrong if you like it in your chocolates or ice cream.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Sounds like state fair menu item

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I just don't get why everything is bacon-flavored now. What makes it so popular? I don't really find it to have much flavor, it's OK when it's cooked just right, but too little and it's fatty, too much and it's burnt.

Whatever floats your boat, but like I said I prefer sausage, either breakfast sausage or hot Italian links (or crumbled into sauce or on pizza). Actually, I really like pork, all kinds of pork (even headcheese), LOVE smoked ham and Canadian (as well call it in US) bacon but bacon strips are kinda EH (shrug) for me (same with fried pork bellies). And I wouldn't go for sausage-flavored ice cream or ham-flavored potato chips.

But dark chocolate, sea salt and a little hot pepper powder - now that sounds good! That same ice cream place makes a vanilla ice cream with jalapeno jam swirled in - I might have to try that, though I think maybe candied jalapenos (Cowboy Candy) chunks might be better...

This post was edited by ajsmama on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 18:22

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Well, you do have one point - it is surprisingly difficult to cook sliced bacon well. And a lot of cheap bacon is surprisingly tasteless. But an imagined slab of nice thick uncured piggie has me sitting here drooling all over the keyboard.

Dennis

P.S. We note well that you do not deny bean a alien...

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Please don't kick me off the board - I *did* say I liked it wrapped around jalapenos...

Sorry for the hijack. Darn, now I want a slice of ham and a couple eggs for breakfast! Maybe diced ham and scrambled eggs - hmm, where's that pork cookbook? Oh, right here, next to "How to Serve Man"...

• neoguy
    9 years ago

Hey Judo,

I'm intrigued by the flavor combination but I've never seen bacon jerky. Is that just a local thing? I have a friend who makes what I think is the best jerky commercially, but it's not made from pork, it's made from beef or turkey. Can you elaborate on the bacon jerky?

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Hmmm, sounds interesting, but I'm also not familiar with bacon jerky.

And not liking bacon? I just can't fathom it - a good quality and cooked up so it's nicely crispy...I could eat a bowl full! I'm sure that many would consider how I like it "way overcooked", but I love it super crispy, just moments before it starts to char...I have greatest success in getting it the way I like it by baking it in the oven rather than frying it.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got mine at walmart. walgreens has some as well, and you can find it online.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I've only made it Epic Meal Time style....

Bake the strips in the oven, and apply the pepper powder to the bacon itself. Once cooked, place in the 'fridge to firm up. Prepare the chocolate, then dip the cool bacon strips in the warm chocolate, then back into the 'fridge for the chocolate to harden. Fantastic.

Josh

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996