Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Sunlight needs during growth stage?

saoodhashim
10 years ago

Hi

I live in Saudi Arabia and am a beginner gardener.

I have bought a few pepper and tomato plants from the local nursery - 8-10 inches tall. Reading lots of stuff and finding that pepper need around 6 hours of direct sunlight. Well I am doing my gardening on roof top so 6 hours of direct sunlight is not a problems for me.

My question is however, is this 6+ hours needed at the fruiting stage or right from the word go?? The heat is quite high over here these day but it is gradually reducing. By early November the temperature should have come down by 10-15 degrees. Right now it frequently (every other day) touches 100F. I was thinking of providing them with three hours of early morning sun when the temps are less than 85 and then bringing them in my house where I can maintain a pleasant temperature but I have no sunlight in my house though. As for late afternoon sun, I cannot provide that since just right next to my apartment, there is a tall building which shades my whole roof top from 2 pm onwards.

Will it work? Do the pepper (and for that matter any other vegetable plants - especially the sun lovers i.e. tomatoes and cucumbers etc ) need 6+ hours of direct sunlight from the very beginning when they are just showing up leaves and growing in height or 3 hours of light will be just fine for them during this growth stage (for one month or so)?

Thanks

Saood

Comments (4)

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

As long as the soil is adequately moist (though the soil does not need to be constantly wet)...full sun, even 100+ F degree sun, is just fine for the vegetative growth stage of peppers.

They generally enjoy protection (shade, shade cloth, etc) when they're flowering and fruiting when temperatures are regularly around mid-90s+ F, though. Temperatures in the mid-90s F make some flowers abort without forming a fruit and intense sun on formed fruit can burn the fruit tissue. The leaves handle it all quite well as long as they have adequate moisture (but be sure not to keep the soil saturated with water...it's a bit of a delicate balance in arid areas).

While they're still in the non-flowering/non-fruiting stage they do rather well with full sun, even at 100+F.

As far as the moisture balance goes for hot times of the year...if you notice leaves drooping during the worst of the day on established plants beyond the very small seedling stage, there's no need to panic...that's natural. If you notice them not perking up after the sun goes down and they're still drooping...they probably need more water than what you're giving them.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the great reply. Brief but to the point. Appreciate that a lot.

Also, just for confirmation - is this applicable for all vegetable plants - or only for peppers?

While you say that in the growth stages it may be ok if the temps get even 100+, but how about the impact of 3 hours sun and then putting in a shade (either through some shade cloth or bringing it inside the house) so that the water needs are controlled.

This situation arises with me since I am not available to check moisture at around noon because of job constraints. Do I necessarily have to give it 6+ hours of sunlight during this growth stage?

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

the sun is not equal in all areas. I live in FL, which gets comparable levels of sun to where you are (it's not the dry heat you're used to though, we have absurd levels of humidity). peppers need 6+ hrs of sun in northern latitudes. my plant that is doing the best gets only gets sun from 8am-1pm. I vote that up until you start seeing buds forming you leave them out all day. once you start seeing buds, put them in shade in the afternoon.

also out of curiosity, what kind of peppers are you growing? I'm quite curious what is available at the nurseries on the Arabian peninsula.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks J&P for your reply.

Frankly being a new gardener, I cared less about what the variety of pepper and tomatoes I bought. I just wanted to try out and get my hands dirty.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz