Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burnt leaves?

Posted by Jwdb 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 4:05

I've been running a little experiment, trying to grow chiles under a mix of sunlight and LED lighting: one habanero growing on my windowsill, and another next to it, getting slightly less light but under a set of high-power blue LEDs during the evening and early night. The plant under the LED does seem to be growing slightly faster (I should now switch them to see if the other starts growing faster), but a few days ago I tried lowering the LEDs to fairly close to the plant, and think I may have burned one of the leaves.

You can see it in the photo below. Is that front leaf sunburnt, possibly slightly toasted, or is it some other kind of damage? And what should I do about it - cut it off, or leave it be?

Jw

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burnt leaves?

It does look similar to sunburn. I would just leave it.

o

Yea, most of the leaf is still functional, so leave it. I wonder, though, why the lower leaf would burn and not the uppers. Was the source set off to the side so that that leaf was face-on?

Do you know what the spectrum of the LED is? Maybe a lot of ultraviolet?

And what is that you're growing in? Looks like some sort of petrified berry. Or maybe wasp galls.

o

It's in a bit of a growth spurt, so that leaf was more prominent on Monday when I moved the LED. I took the photo two days later. The others have grown since, and it has drooped.

The LEDs are 460 nm, +- 10 nm half power, three of which I mounted on a heatsink and hung above the peppers. There should be as good as no ultraviolet, but I don't have the tools to actually confirm this. Can give you the model number if you want, however.

I'm actually growing in generic potting soil and a bit of perlite. The balls are LECA, which I use as a top covering to prevent the soil from drying out too much, and prevent anything else from growing. I've since discovered these forums, so will try some other mixes with my next batch.

o

Looks like it's dealing with the burnt leaf without a problem.

Two plants in the photo below: the lower one below the blue light, the upper one next to it. Lower one gets less sunlight, but an extra 5 hours of blue a day. I think it was the smaller one when I started, but now it's got quite a few more shoots.

These white habaneros grow quite slowly.

o

OCD..........

o

Remember, a watched plant never grows.

So sing to them with your eyes closed.

o

I know, I know :P

I have limited space, however, so I'm looking for anything that'll make them grow more bushy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here