Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luis_pr

Chile Pequin: C. annuum var aviculare

luis_pr
9 years ago

When I bought one specimen at the nursery, I was told it was native, the part of the plant above the ground would dry out but the roots would be ok so it would "return" in Spring.

However, after purchasing it, I ran into a customer who told me how much he liked it, gave me hints and said it did not return back for him (although it reseeded and he got new plants from the seeds in the Spring).

So, I am asking those who grow it in the Dallas/Fort Worth (Texas) area, what has your experience been with this shrub?

TIA, Luis

Comments (6)

• tomt226
    9 years ago

I'm down here in Bastrop County Texas, and grow both Tepin and Pequin. I generally get about half that make it through the winter. They grow naturally in creek bottoms that have year-round moisture and are sheltered from the wind. I lost every one in the drought of 2010-11, even the wild ones in the area were completely decimated. I usually just mound up leaves/compost and dump a bucket of water on'em once a week. Sometimes they'll come back on the old wood, or just sprout new shoots, so don't do a winter prune on it. Morning sun and filtered afternoon shade seems to work best. A little bone meal or Osmocote sprinkled around helps too...

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

IMO it's a little cold up here for the plant to be reliably perennial. Yeah the weather fronts turn left at the Red River, but they still dump cold stuff on us on the way by.

If you want a reliable source of pequins, start some seeds inside about the beginning of March. If the plants come back you can discard them, and if they don't you can plant them in its place.

Good luck,
    Dennis

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Pequin/tepins are notoriously slow-growing, so I start mine about mid-January. I transplant'em en-mass as they grow in the wild. A fence line is good so the birds will spread replacement seeds...

• luis_pr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good ideas, y'all. Thanks!

I was told that the green peppers are more hot than the red ones and that the yellow/oranges are in between. Is that correct?

I am planning to mix some with scrambled eggs tomorrow. How many do you need to add before your taste buds notice anything? Not having a clue of how hot they are, how many would you add to 3 eggs? Do you just throw them into the skillet or would you break them in half before cooking with them. Sorry for all those "technical" cooking questions; I can boil water but I get into trouble with everything else. LOL! :o)

This post was edited by luis_pr on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 10:16

• tomt226
    9 years ago

I find'em all about the same. Just pop one and see how you like it. The Pequins are milder than the Tepins. Just put'em on your chopping board, and mash'em flat like you do garlic, and put a fine chop on'em. Start out with about 8-10 if they're small. If you sauté them first with a little onion and garlic it'll reduce the heat some, but still have a good flavor. Pan heat reduces capsaicin heat...

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I grew them from seed, once in Atl/GA. That was direct sowing in cold frame. I am not sure which one was it, probably Pequins. They were very tiny and pointy, not round. Anyway, I got plenty of red ones. Then at the end of season more green ones. The plant grew about 3ft tall. I still have some pickled ones for decoration.

Sponsored
Your Source for Tailored Remodeling Solutions in Loudoun County