Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvr2014

Ants are making homes in my pot!

mvr2014
9 years ago

So one of my habanero plants (in a 5-gallon pot) bit the dust. I pulled the plant out, and noticed a TON of ants in the pot. I dug a bit and saw that they have settled in the pot! I saw ant eggs and everything! URGH!

I then poured boiling water into the pot. Hopefully that will kill the buggers.

Anyone else had the same problem? How do you fix it, if there is a plant planted in the pot?!

Comments (10)

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Amdro...

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Yeah, Amdro on the ground, Neem oil sprayed on the plants and potting soil in particular.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Just dump the pot out somewhere outside. The ants will stay with their eggs and queen, and will find somewhere outside to hole up. Shake out the root ball too.

I wouldn't mess with Amdro. You've already taken care of the problem.

Dennis

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

There are several pesticides that will kill ants. However, I would try a couple alternatives first. I have heard that cinnamon will deter them (make them leave your pot). There may be other more natural remedies as well. I am not an environmentalist nut by any means, and I detest ants, but if I am trying to rid them from an area that I have edible plants growing, I would try to stay away from chemical pesticides if possible. Giving cinnamon or something else a try can't hurt.
    Bruce

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

I read a trick not too long ago that I haven't tried yet- put the entire pot into a larger container and fill both with water. Put a stick of some type from the edge of the pot to the edge of the larger container and the ants will use it as a bridge to get out.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Let's, for argument's sake, consider WHY the ants are there in the first place.

My answer-- probably aphids. So, check for aphids. If present, control the aphids, control the ants. If no aphids, just keep flooding them and they'll eventually move on.

Pesticides? Amdro, Terro. Both are boric acid baits which supposedly work great. Just not on SoCal ants. Rhizo1 from the garden Clinic forum did say there were some granules(outdoor usage only) made by Amdro that she says works really well though. There's supposedly some beneficial nematodes that work also. In the case of container growing though, I would find them to be cost prohibitive.

Kevin

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I hate to hurt ants (tiny black ones). They are not vegetarians and do not cause any harm to plants. But I just find them annoying (psychological).. I would try cinnamon , as suggested by Bruce, to deter them and send them away to somewhere else.

Seysonn

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

And then there's Fireants... the ant that will hurt you first given half a chance.

A rancher friend had a couple large pecan trees topple from a storm. We found that fireants had completely destroyed the root system in each tree. So we treated his grove with nematodes and watched the dead ants pile up under the trees. Twenty years later the rest of the pecans are still standing.

In my own yard I have a couple mesquite trees that have a couple large dead limbs. I've been putting off cutting them down since I know there will be fireant nests in them. You need a very fast chainsaw to get the job done before they get you. And believe me, they want to get you.

I hate fireants with a passion, but will let most other ants be as long as they stay outside. Then there's the leaf cutters...

This post was edited by mecdave on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 8:21

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Fire ants are another story entirely.

On fire ants, use fire. Also weapons of mass destruction. Also social pressure.

Whatever it takes, morality be damned.

Dennis

P.S. Be sure they are fire ants. I've heard several types improperly called "fire ants", including the big red ones. True fire ants are little, brown, and evil looking.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Lots of plant extracts (essential oils) will be repellent to ants - cinammon oil, clove oil, garlic oil, mints, citrus. Many of these are easily obtainable in nurseries or home improvement stores as organic pest controls.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz