Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scorpion_john

frost warning tonight

scorpion_john
10 years ago

Well wasn't supposed to happen till late next week but they changed it last minute. So i picked about 1/4 of my what i had growing at my parents property. Thats a 4x4 square 3 inches thick. Also pulled a bunch of plants to hang. I am gonna squeeze by tonight with my other 2 gardens. But time is short, looks like wednesday night will be it for the outside plants. Oh well, i still got my potted ones in the greenhouse. I was getting tired of cutting up peppers anyway. Anybody got any ideas on what to make with a couple thousand green superhots? John

Comments (11)

• dbuchner
    10 years ago

Wow! I may be in the same boat soon.

• gfinnil
    10 years ago

Dang...hopefully next year I will be complaining about this...instead of buying pods from the store :( Stupid cold weather anyway...winter sucks!

• sjetski
    10 years ago

A few ideas:
    - Vacuum wrap and freeze the ones starting to ripe?
    - Blend up, then freeze, or jar, some of the greener ones for salsa verde.
    - Dehydrate a few for some green powder. Or throw it into a green+red powder blend.
    - Dehydrate and leave some of them whole.
    - Look up different flavored pickling brines, maybe something a tad sweeter to cover up any green taste.

Got the last of my picklers today, only enough for a few more jars. I left a few isolated seed donors to mature a few days longer. My ripe Amazon Chile Roma's have a lot of immature seeds for some reason.

• stormtruck2
    10 years ago

We picked a wagon full of them, all green to, beat the frost. Killing frost tonight for us it sounds like. We left them in the wagon and baskets and they ripened very well. So let them set or hang and they should turn ripe slowly. We have about 20 pounds of Habeneros left to process and we will be done with peppers this year. So patience grasshopper, time will ripen your peppers.

• User
    10 years ago

No frost warning but we're dancing close to 0C/32F tonight and freezing is foretasted overnight in a few days.

Did my final harvest today and moved a couple of late bloomers inside.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I'll probably be banned from the forum for this,but, If they're green when time runs out, they get composted. I don't like the "green" of most peppers (a few obvious exceptions). I just pulled most everything today. Kept a few to overwinter, and one Guajillo that I may bring inside to finish.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

*gasp* tsheets! I am shocked, just shocked I say! ;)

I don't have any useful comments other than nice haul there. I think I'm wondering what you would have done with all of those had they ripened? Soon I will have to figure out what to do with all of mine, though our forecast keeps changing each day. I might not have to face the pile of green peppers my plants will surely generate for a bit longer, with a little luck.

• rdback
    10 years ago

Nice haul John. Don't forget fermentation as an option. Green peppers ferment fine.

"I'll probably be banned from the forum for this,but, If they're green when time runs out, they get composted. I don't like the "green" of most peppers (a few obvious exceptions)."

I'm glad to know I'm not alone tsheets, lol.

I had frost last night/this a.m., but only in the shady spots, which is within 50 yards of the garden. The next frost forecast is for Wed night. I'll probably do another picking of anything with color Wed afternoon.

Rick

• missyga64
    10 years ago

I hope mine get a chance to ripen before the frost. . . the forcast was for this weekend, but now they are saying maybe next week.
    I just need 2 weeks and I think they will all be ripe !

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

It's getting really cold and I decided that I was not going to be robbed out of most of my first crop of super hots - which are in a little uninsulated greenhouse. I had two kerosene lanterns going to try to circulate a little heat in there and it worked sorta okay - raised the temps by 5 F. Soon that 5 won't stave off the frost so I flipped down to Lowes in Amherst yesterday and brought back a natural gas heater. It's hooked up now to the gas line and is performing quite nicely. I may have trouble getting it to a low enough setting so might be running in and out cycling it myself.
    Yeah, now those peppers are worth a bazillion dollars each...
    I can only plead insanity - but just think how early I'll be able to start in the spring!

• missyga64
    10 years ago

Lori,

I agree, they are worth saving. This is also my first crop of super hot peppers and I cant just let them go. Mine are in pots on a wall, so last night I just dropped them down and let the wall protect them from the wind. A few look a bit droopy this morning so this evening, I put them all in the garage. There are only 10 pots so I will move them all out in the sun in the late morning.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions