Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomt226

Green Bhut Salsa

tomt226
9 years ago

Since all ya'll Yankees et al are bemoaning the fact that the growing season is over and you still got loads of green super-hot pods, I thought I'd do an experimental green salsa using them. It's a nice green sauce, about an 8 on the heat scale. Uses green tomatoes instead of tomatillos, which I figure everybody has or could get. I put cilantro in this one instead of epazote for the same reason.

Green Bhut Sauce

3-cups coarsely chopped Bhuts (about a quart un-chopped)
6-small (1-1/2-2") green tomatoes
2/3 cup coarsely chopped garlic
1-cup rough chopped cilantro
1-1/2 cups lime juice
2 cups water
3-teaspoons table salt
1-tablespoon sugar
1/4-teaspoon Xanthan gum dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
Place all ingredients except the Xanthan gum mixture in a sauce pan, cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes, and let cool completely. Place in blender and process for ten minutes. Add Xanthan gum and process for another 30 seconds. Pour into a bowl and let sit for one hour for the bubbles to escape. Refrigerate.

Comments (9)

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The finished product. Makes about 30 oz.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Looks good Tom. I have a green chile chili recipe that calls for tomatillo sauce. The problem with the store bought sauces, besides cost, is they tend to be way too jalapeno-hot for the amount the recipe calls for. Been making my own instead.

The recipe also calls for cilantro which, although works well with this dish, I really don't care for. Will have to check out epazote.

Update: Heck, after looking it up, I may even have some growing in my yard. ;-)

This post was edited by mecdave on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 11:43

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's easy to grow. Just find a spot that gets morning sun, and afternoon shade, rake out the leaves and hoe the grass out, and sprinkle the seeds down. Do that in early spring. It's a perennial and can be invasive. Cut it back when the seeds pods start showing so you'll get more leaves. Needs water too. If you've got a damp spot, all the better. Think mint...

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Turns out I've got a nice large example growing with my tomatillo plants. I nearly pulled everything up yesterday since the toms never did produce. Glad I didn't. Will save the seeds and pick a bunch of the young leaves. Time for some beans and cornbread!

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

Haha! Looks (and sounds) delicious, Tom. Thanks for sharing. Much appreciated.

Thank you/ "y'all"(?) Yee-haw!!!
    Mike

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mecdave,
    You can't beat a fresh (uncooked) green salsa made with just serranos (or green Bhuts), tomatillos, cilantro or epazote, garlic, salt, and fresh lime juice. The cooking takes a lot of the heat out of this, plus it just doesn't have the "ZING" of fresh ingredients, IMHO. Doesn't keep more than a couple days in the fridge, though. Can't beat it with carnitas.
    If you eat epazote regularly, you won't have worms, either...

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

"If you eat epazote regularly, you won't have worms, either..."

Or gas from what I've read. Hence the pot o beans and cornbread for my first test case. ;-)

• tomt226
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm...I don't get much, if any, gas reduction by using epazote. You just gotta eat beans regularly and yer system will stop producing so much gas as it "gets used" to'em. I used to eat beans/cornbread almost every day and didn't have a gas problem.
    'Course I worked outside and the animals didn't complain....

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

More likely the amount of gas remains the same. But everyone in the area just "gets used" to it...

Sponsored