Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mecdave

Poor germination tied to day length?

I've been trying to get several varieties of ornamentals started over the last 6 weeks. My success rate is only about 10% and out the four plants that have managed to start growing, only one is showing any real signs of vigor (second set of true leaves).

I'm not doing anything different than in the spring, but even those that I do get to sprout in paper towels, do nothing in the potting mix. Never surface.

I'm just wondering if the days getting shorter have anything to do with it. Do the plants know this, I'm just wasting seed stock, and should wait until January when the days start getting longer, or what?

PS I've even ordered seed from 2 different sources with the same results. I haven't even gotten one Bolivian Rainbow seed to sprout out of 20 tries. Having somewhat better luck with the New-Mex varieties.

Comments (25)

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Don't know about the ornamentals, but the super hots need 85-90 degree soil temp constantly. I've got "volunteers" coming up in some places in the ground beds. Bhuts and Numex habs.
    Planted some basil and Joi-choi in some flats on August 28, and they were all up in two days.
    I've had good luck with MG seed starting mix. Just fill the flats, water, let drain, then put a seed on top and sprinkle more mix on top to about 1/8-1/4" deep. Capillary action will dampen the dry soil on top. Stretch some Saran wrap over the flat and rubber-band it. Let it get morning sun/afternoon shade. Remove wrap when seedlings start pushing on the wrap.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Dave, Are you direct sowing ?
    Germination does not need light, It can be done in darkness But need moisture and heat, as Tom mentioned.
    Light is needs after germination. Most people have grow lights on 16/24. So that daylight length should not affect germination and grow. It can only have effect on fruiting is some vegetables.

Pepper seeds seem to have tough shell and it takes some good heat to wake up the embrio inside.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

From my experiences, poor germination with peppers has usually been with old seed or temps... never light. Some veggies require light to sprout, not peppers. Gotta keep those temps CONSTANT in the mid 80's(ideally), but no lower than high 70's.

Kevin

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The four successful sprouts were in a Jiffy tray in peat pellets and under the humidity dome. Heat provided by an electric blanket underneath with a temp probe inside the dome reading a constant 85 to 91 degrees. Same as last spring's method.

There were so many seeds that never sprouted I started germinating them in damp paper towels inside ziplocks. Germination rate is fair, except for the Bolivian Rainbows, but they never would grow after putting them in either peat pellets or MG potting mix, in or out of the humidity dome.

I'll get some MG seed starting mix and try Tom's method, but I'm still at a loss as to why what has worked back in the spring is not working now, unless ornamentals are just temperamental.

• green_passion
    9 years ago

Mecdave, Reading your posts made me think your problems could be related to the materials you used for germination.

Cleanliness is also so important for seed germination besides temperature and moisture. Whatever materials and tools we use for germination should be trouble free sterile materials. Seeds could be germinated in a disease contaminated materials or soil. Such type of plants has always having a lot of troubles and very complicated to diagnose the problems.

Light could be use for giving a good temperature to the soil/medium, if you do not use heated propagator on other means.

Good luck to your MG seed starting mix.

Veto

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Ditch the peat pots/pellets. My peppers never liked those.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, in an attempt to figure this out I ran across mention that some peppers don't do well in peat because of the PH. That's when I started using the MG PM. Still no help but I'll try their Seed Starter mix next.

It's certainly not a low heat issue. I've forgotten what that is like. I still like my day length theory. They know, they know... ;-)

• green_passion
    9 years ago

"Poor germination tied to day length?"

My answer is no, day length has nothing to do on germination but temperature, moisture and sterile medium. Once they are germinated, day length or light involves to the health of the plants.

"My success rate is only about 10%"

"PS I've even ordered seed from 2 different sources with the same results. I haven't even gotten one Bolivian Rainbow seed to sprout out of 20 tries."

Still I believe the problem could be related to unclean germination materials :).

I used paper towel with zip lock method, more than 90% were successful. Once I had problems with it because I reused the zip lock bags without properly clean. I lost many seeds. Since then I do not use zip lock and paper tower.

I would like to know if you found the real cause of poor germination of your seeds. Just for learning a lesson from your experience :)

Veto

• green_passion
    9 years ago

zip lock bags#

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

How are the seeds failing? Do they just sit there? Mold and discolor?

Dennis

I'd stick with the paper towel method until you get enough to fill your starter tray.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Still I believe the problem could be related to unclean germination materials :).

I used paper towel with zip lock method, more than 90% were successful. Once I had problems with it because I reused the zip lock bags without properly clean. I lost many seeds. Since then I do not use zip lock and paper tower."

You might have nailed it. After the first seed failure (likely from old seed stock, the new ones look fresher), I did re-use the bags since they were already labeled.

I'll start fresh after sanitizing everything, but still give Tom's method a shot too. Will report back in a couple weeks.

Thanks for all your help guys.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Another "no" vote on the day length theory.

But I can't offer any help to improve your germination rate as it seems you've tried everything and all the other help offered, including your methodology, is what I do.

The only thing I can offer is this, keep notes! When you finally work through this, which you will, you'll know what didn't work & what did under what conditions. Peat pellets from different manufacturer, a temperature "range" that worked, MG seed starter mix vs. potting mix, domed or not, daily watering or every other day, fresh seeds from where, old seeds germinated best under which conditions, paper towel/baggie helped (Which seeds?), chamomile tea method, where were seeds acquired from, different supplier improved results, etc.

Good luck going forward!
    NECM

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 18:21

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Consider using healthy doses of 3% hydrogen peroxide in the baggies. Keeps the fungii at bay.

Dennis

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heck yeah. I was planning on using it for the sanitizer. So I can use it as the baggy liquid too?

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Sanitation is a given. Only use fresh sterile mix. And I never re-use a baggy.

Kevin

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

You can put it right on the seeds. Doesn't faze them at all.

Dennis

• randy355
    9 years ago

Hey Mecdave I see you are in Texas is your area having water issues like we are in CA? Our water here has so many chemicals in it no seed would make it and grown plants don't even like it. Now come winter we go back to river water that has not been treated as much and I can use tap water again. Perhaps this is done in your area also it might explain why it works in Jan and not Oct.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Randy. Yes, 7 years of drought here so far, but enough rain from time to time to collect rain water, and that is what I've been using on the seedlings.

As for my plants, once the rainwater is used up I refill the barrels with tap water and let it age for at least 24 hrs before using. Or at least that is what I was doing until recently. Got tired of hauling water, installed a drip system, and have stepped up the fertilization schedule a bit, after assurances from a fellow forum member. Time will tell.

• green_passion
    9 years ago

I re used zip lock bags many times only I stopped after the problems I mentioned before. Without sanitization it should not be used. The other reason I stop using paper towel baggy method is I do not like to put the young seedlings to a new environment. I may use paper towel baggy method for only test seeds.

For the coming season IâÂÂd use Rockwool cube and potting soil plus low quantity perlite. Rockwool cube is a new experience for me; it is very clean and convenient, it seems to me trouble free. I have one seedling in Rockwool still it has no signs of problems.

Veto

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: It's been 10 days since I purchased some shallow 6" x 9" Rubbermaid plastic trays, filled them half way with MG Seed Starting Mix, direct planted 48 seeds (8 varieties), set the lids on top, and set the trays on an electric blanket.

All varieties, and about 80% of the seeds have sprouted so far! Thanks for all the suggestions, it worked!

PS I've never had such a hard time getting a soil medium to accept water as I did with the MG Seed Mix. Literally had to stir it in inside a bucket. At least it stays damp a long time. Just watered again those trays that have been open for a few days.

PSS So much for my day length theory. ;-)

This post was edited by mecdave on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 15:08

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Mecdave,
    Noticed the same thing the other day when I was planting some herbs for the winter GH. Had to stir it up the first time, but then after it once absorbs the water the first time, it starts acting normal. And this wasn't even the moisture control stuff either. WTF?

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Well, we knew you'd work through it MecDave! So Rubbermaid plastic tray with cover, 1/2 filled with MG Seed Starting Mix, bottom heat.

Anything else for an update?

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the confidence NECM.

Everything's looking good. The biggest shoots will be going Solo this weekend. I almost don't want to take them out of the starter mix. I've never had sprouts this dark green and fast growing before. I'll be sure to include a good part of the surrounding mix when I pot up. It would just go to waste otherwise.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

mecDave,
    I think if they are adequately space, you can keep them there longer. I would do solo after a pair of true leaves.
    Good luck !

Sponsored