Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mecdave

Grow Big or go Home

Just read an article on the huge Atlanta pumpkins a guy is growing in Indiana, and saw the post here about the 100 pod Ghost plant, and since I recently acquired a tree-size nursery pot, I'm wondering what huge pepper plant I should grow next year.

So, what varieties tend to grow huge/big/tall (and still taste good)?

Comments (13)

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

You should be able to get at least 100 pod off a Ghost plant. Ive gotten twice that and more.
    Try the Peach Ghost Very Productive , same with the Brown.
    Ghost peppers are a good choice for Pot Production Go for it.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Over at the THP forum is a thread by a grower in Atlanta, these pics are from Guru's Glog 2012. This is one season growth of a Brain Strain in a 65 gal. root air pot. The progression is April(in the background.) -May - July - Late September. If you peruse the thread you'll see he uses a natural fermented brew of fish, worm poop, seaweed and myco. As we've always read, bigger pot=bigger plant, so go for it with whatever pepper you like best!

• OKgrowin
    9 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9YdkmmJeuU

go with a chin so you can get multiple peppers per node. Naga / ghost types are really productive. You should go with something you will enjoy and use!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I second what Dave said....grow a Peach Bhut Jolokia. Very productive! One of my Red Ghosts in a 1-gallon container has produced about 50 pods.

Josh

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

I grew a Carolina Reaper in a large pot this year. I think it was about 15 gallons. It ended up about 6'3" and 5' wide. It blew over this week when we had a few windy days. When I turned it back over, two of the main branches broke off. It must have gave me at least 2 or 3 hundred peppers, and I don't think it was anywhere near the size of this guy's plant. Just make sure you grow something that you like, because you'll get a lot of peppers off of it.

Tim

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Better have a good dolly to get it into the garage, or a greenhouse to grow it in when that first blue norther hits...

• locoguy
    9 years ago

I saw a dorset naga on youtube with 2400 peppers. How we grew a giant Dorset Naga plant: http://youtu.be/0Bm93RBvMfc

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Watched that video. Interesting to note the two plants in 100L pots (26.5gal) produced "over" 1K pods each but Nigel in a 160L (42gal) pot produced almost 2.5K pods.

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

TomT posted on another thread"Fortunately the 8' tree habs were tied off to a fence, and all the rest of the plants over 5' were t-posted.

How about some pix and hints for MecDave? I never grew 8 ft. Habs!

• tomt226
    9 years ago

These are tree habs, or Habanero di Arbol. Have an upright growth habit, with the peppers growing up, then gradually going pendulous. Here's a recent pic, when it was almost 8'. Damn things are loaded now. That's why I tied'em off to the fence. Already canned many pints of these mixed with Lemon Drops. Suckers are good...

• seysonn
    9 years ago

One of my Red Ghosts in a 1-gallon container has produced about 50 pods.

Josh
    %%%%%%%%%%%
    That would be more than enough for me.
    Unless you are growing commercially or for sports and championship.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the advice, photos, and videos. So going with a chinense variety narrows it down to a few I already have seeds and/or plants for.

Of those, so far I like Pepperlover's White Naga/Ghost? best, but it's way too hot to somehow digest 1k+ pods. I'll still be growing one though.

I also have a couple plants that are finally producing pods now that the summer heat is gone, red Bhut and Scorpion. Hope to get to taste some ripe ones before FF.

My current not-too-hot is the yellow Bhut I had gotten a total of 2 pods off of. That plant is currently loaded down with pods, so will see if this batch is hotter. Excellent flavor. Sort of a cross between peach and pineapple.

Will be on the lookout for some fresh peach fatallis to taste. I've been sampling various SHs from fellow growers this season and did taste a peach fatalli "cross with something". It was pretty good.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. Keep the photos, videos, and suggestions coming if ya got em. I still have plenty of time to make up my mind.

PS May have to try a hab tree too. I believe DMForcer said he likes them too?

• kclost
    9 years ago

Reapers produce very, very well. I have several first year plants that are 6ft tall right now. I had one plant break over right at the ground (not in pots btw) back in July and I counted 181 pods on it, from very small to fully ripe. The plant at that time was about 4 ft tall.

Sponsored