Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_passion

Rockwool for Seedling Soil

green_passion
9 years ago

I used paper towel and potting soil for germination seeds. This season I got some Rockwool when I bought containers. I tried one seed, it was germinated. I do not have any experience of using Rockwool and I do not use Hydroponic too. So I have a couple of questions about Rockwool.

How long should I keep the seedling in the Rockwool?
Should I remove the Rockwool when I do re-pot?
Is there any disadvantage of using Rockwool?

The seedling is Carolina Reaper it could be crossed.

Your opinions and answers are welcome.

Veto

Comments (7)

• gro2can
    9 years ago

what is rockwool, and where can i get it in canada. thx aki

• randy355
    9 years ago

Just let the roots grow and plant the cube in the new container. They also have plugs made of Peat that feel like foam rubber brand name Root Riot.
    As far as I know there is no disadvantage with either they both are clean hold moisture well no bugs no bacteria. I myself use the peat plugs since they kinda look like dirt and are a little more obvious as they dry out.
    With the rockwool there are even larger cubes ( 4in x 4in )with plastic wrapped sides you just put your plug in, put in a tray and take your plant to size for spring planting. If you go that rout use a complete fertilizer since there is nothing to feed the plants in the rockwool.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

I have used Rockwool and had mixed results. Between the peat plugs and rockwool, I believe peat came out better.

It was harder to see the rockwool was kept wet and the seeds did not dry out. I had a lower germination rate with RW. With peat, it was much easier to see and better results.

With germinated plants, I put the whole thing in a pot. If you removed the rockwool to early, it ripped off alot of roots. It is also not degradable so you sometimes see it in leftover soil.

You can buy on Amazon (Canada or US) or EBAY. Nursery's also carry. Also found in Hydroponic stores. They use it for clippings and cloning mostly.

It is expensive too, keep that in mind when compared to peat pods.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Wed, Oct 1, 14 at 16:29

• green_passion
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grow2can, I do not know where it could be available in Canada but it will be very easy to find. You can buy it from ebay or amazon, RonnyB already mentioned it. To me it looks like the same material of building insulator. For further information use the link, Just I found from the internet untreated Rockwool pH (probably building insulation Rockwool) level is high so we should be careful. What I use is for hydroponic gardening (treated RW I believe).

Randy and RonnyB thank you for the information, both of you provided me the information I was looking for.

Veto

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockwool

• OKgrowin
    9 years ago

How long should I keep the seedling in the Rockwool?
    forever, trying to get it out will probably break the roots

Should I remove the Rockwool when I do re-pot?
    ^no, you can poke some holes or make some cuts in it so the roots have easier access to get out.

Is there any disadvantage of using Rockwool?
    it is nutrient less so people usually use them to start off hydroponics. If you keep them in there past 2 sets of true leaves without transplanting you will have to water them with a hydroponic (water soluable fertilizer) solution to keep them growing.

• green_passion
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OKGrowin, thank you for the good answers.

Veto

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz