Beni Highlands
Carmine Habanero
Limon
Limo
PIMIENTO DE CHIERO
Nardello
Serrano
Yummy Orange

....this ornamental gem has made a big impression with me for a fresh eating out of hand pepper, hot, sweet, and fruity. It also pickles well and is a very productive and a pretty plant.

But of course I'm a waffler too; I waffle between Hot Lemon and Limon and Omnicolor as favorites; each has their place I suppose, like in my garden every year now. :-)

Comments (25)

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Different Baccatums have been on my radar the past few years, and going by people's opinions, aji omnicolor's flavor seems to be at or near the top.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I grew Baccatums first time last year with Burpee Hot Lemon Pepper (probably improved strain of Lemon Drop), excellent heat, sweet, and fruity for eating fresh out of hand. Took pics yesterday morning, here's Omnicolor, notice no red ones (they get eaten), but these are good at this stage also, red is best.

Inca Red Drop next to it, Baccatum, decent heat, sweet, and fruity but a little heavy on seeds for grazing straight from the garden.

Criolla Sella, Baccatum, decent heat with a really good flavor of it's own but heavy on seeds.

Beni Highlands, Chinense, decent heat and good fresh out of hand.

Limon, Chinense, excellent heat and excellent fresh out of hand, will grow again.

Pimento de Chiero, Chinense, this is a good little chile, hot, excellent flavor, borderline seedy, but has combined very nicely with some of my other vegetable ferments, cukes, green beans, tomatoes; I'm getting ready to pickle a batch of green cherry tomatoes and am considering making the batch half these. I may grow these again.

....and, that was all the pics I took....

• roper2008
    10 years ago

I ordered a plant of Aji Omnicolor from Cross Country
    Nursery this year. I kept it in a really small pot, but
    still got some pods, and I thought they tasted pretty good.
    I compared it to the Birgits Locoto I grew this year and
    the Omnicolor beat it for flavor. I'll be growing both next
    year.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My two Omnicolors came from CCN also; planted them in the garden with plenty of organic matter and composted manure and they've turned into 24"-30" bushy plants similar to Hot Lemon and prolific like them also.

Flavor wise I compare Omnicolor to Aji Crystal, very similar in flavor these two; though smaller, I prefer Omnicolor because you know when they're at their best-dead ripe, and, flavor & heat is more intense than Aji Crystal.

[edit to add]

....and Omnicolor comes on earlier than Aji Crystal.....

This post was edited by sidhartha0209 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 5:41

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Very nice. But for me they are rather large plants; No space .

Any body is growing Thai and Korean chilies?

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually they will grow to fit the space you give them. Roper2008 had his in 'a really small pot' and got 'some pods', I planted mine in fertile ground w/lots of organic matter and got lots of pods along with bushes for plants. CCN description of Omnicolor is "12 to 18 inches tall", but I know given the right circumstances they WILL get larger than that.

Here is a link that might be useful: AJI OMNICOLOR

• mspeppajo
    10 years ago

I hope you don't mind me asking but I did want to try the Aji Omni in container for 2014 for me I was also looking for the Limon. Would you be willing to part with some seeds/ pods so that I may have some ready for next season? It would be greatly appreciated and payed forward when the time comes!!

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure. I'll be sending you an email... :-)

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

" Would you be willing to part with some seeds/ pods so that I may have some ready for next season?"

Better yet, I've made some changes, let's see if it works, send me an email.

[edit to add]

I have been saving SOME seed from ALL VARITIES of the chiles I've grown this year, I'll make a point to save MORE before frost and try to join in on some of the exchanges that go on here, it's new to me but I'm game.

This post was edited by sidhartha0209 on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 12:42

• austinnhanasmom
    10 years ago

I like this one too! My plant was huge, so will have it's own space next year, if it successfully overwinters.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Amen! First frost here is expected in about 6 days. Yesterday I gave my two Omnicolors (along with some others) a good feeding in preparation for pruning the tops, digging them up, pruning the roots, and transplanting into pots to bring in for the winter. I do hope they overwinter well and provide me with those delicious hot sweet fruity pods EARLY next spring. :-)

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Sidhartha0209. I sent you e-mail, can you let me know if you do not receive it? Thanks!

Alex

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool! My first gmail! And man is it garbled! Are all the emails sent from GW a mess like this?

I'll be getting back with you soon m_g, You have some interesting varieties.

What was you favorite for this year?

Did Puya do well in your zone? I would imagine it's a very long season pepper, right?

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Garbled? Can you forward it back to me? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Puya did well for me, and it did produce early. I just smoked some down and crushed the dried pods with a mallet to make "crushed red peppers" for pizza.

Calling a favorite would be tough. I really enjoy the Red Savina for heat that's manageable with good flavor. Maybe Aji Rojo for overall flavor.

Alex

This post was edited by maple_grove on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 20:18

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alex, would you mind if I posted the body of thr email on this thread for all to see? I'm sure someone has knowledge of this garbled mess and what causes it.

Red Savina, hmmmm, always thought of that one as waayyyy out of my league....

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Sure, I don't mind.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is:

[This message originated at GardenWeb]

Hi Sidhartha0209,

I would be very interested in trading seed with you. There are a number of varieties on your list which I'd love to grow next year:

Aji Crystal
    Aji Habanero
    Aji Omnicolor
    Criolla Sella
    Carmine Habanero
    Limon
    Limo

Here is my grow list from this year, can send seed from any of these:

>>>Trinidad Congo
    >>>Red Bhut Jolokia
    >>>Red Savina
    >>>Red Devil's Tongue
    >>>Trinidad Douglah
    >>>Fatalii
    >>>Orange Hab
    >>>Black Pearl
    >>>Chocolate Hab
    >>>Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
    >>>Numex Big Jim
    >>>Sandia
    >>>Chiluacle Amarillo
    >>>Serrano Huasteco
    >>>Aji Chinchi Amarillo
    >>>Inca Red Drop
    >>>Jalapeno M
    >>>Aji Limon
    >>>Japone
    >>>Puya
    >>>Fresno
    >>>Fish
    >>>Black Cobra
    >>>Thai Chile
    >>>Beni Highlands
    >>>Chilhuacle Rojo
    >>>Aji Rojo
    >>>Yellow Pequin

Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

Alex
    (maple_grove)

Well blow me down, it looks good when I C&P it back to GW.

Anyway, I did forward it to you, maybe you'll see it the way I do, it's really hard to re3ad.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

How does the Limon Chinese compare to the baccatum lemons?

I really like Lemon Drops and would like to have that same flavor with the chinese burn.

edit:

Oh yeah, I was going to mention, you can grow the baccatums in a smaller container and they still do great!

Lemon Drops grown in 1 gal pot:

This post was edited by tsheets on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 22:37

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"How does the Limon Chinese compare to the baccatum lemons?

Hello t. I'm not 'dead certain' that Burpee Hot Lemon is the same as Lemon Drop, it seems I've read that from a chilehead somewhere. :-) From my garden Limon is a tad bit hotter than Lemon....(or is it just a 'different burn'? I'm really not sure.) I consider both as hot.On a scale of 1 to 10 (Orange Hab), I'd rate both chiles as 7 possibly 8. Anyway, I like them both;

Limon is earlier than Lemon but not nearly as prolific; this pic is chiles from ONE container grown Hot Lemon at frost time last year:

This post was edited by sidhartha0209 on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 7:35

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the container plant in the picture you posted definitely resembles the growth habit of the Hot Lemons I grow.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got your email MsPeppaJo, I'll get back with you later.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Thanks, Sid. In your estimation, how similar is the flavor?

Different burns can really affect the perceived heat. At least I think so.

This post was edited by tsheets on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 19:09

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK t, I went to the garden last night and did a 'tasting ', Limon first, then Hot Lemon. Lemon was hotter AND tastier, last night :-).

Made meat loaf today, went to the garden (in the rain) for some Nardellos to go in the meat loaf and grabbed some Limons, Hot Lemons, and Omnicolors along with the Nardellos did another 'tasting' WITH the meatloaf, first a Hot Lemon, then a Limon, then 2 more Hot Lemons. I must admit I preferred the Hot Lemons over the Limons last night and today.

The Hot Lemons are described as 'citrusy' tasting, and I have to agree with that description, they are indeed citrusy, along with heat on a scale of 8 (at least last night and today :-)). Limons are not 'citrusy' when compared side by side to a Hot Lemon, IMO. In fact, last night and today they were kinda bland compared to the Hot Lemon.

Fickle, ain't I?

I only had a couple red Omnicolors (like I said they get eaten), there's a kazillion out there stuck in this purple striped stage and I'm doubting they're gonna have a chance to ripen before a predicted freeze next week. In this stage they taste exactly like an Aji Crystal in it's cream colored stage; when they're red they have a fruity raspberry like flavor, and good heat to boot. I REALLY like Omnicolor. But I waffle and am fickle too.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Very nice and colorful chili pods. I like to eat them right off the plant when they are tender and not so much hot, before the seeds start hardening and making big bumps.
    I will grow few like those (ornamental, Korean , Thai ..).

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update, sid!

I have tried aji chin-chi amarillo's as well. They definitely had the same baccatum background flavor of the lemon drops I also grew. But, they weren't citrusy like the lemon drops (I believe they are the same as aji lemon).

The omni-color seems to be pretty popular these days.