Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing trinidad scorpion

Posted by chuckstoll 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 8:58

Any advise on growing trinidad scorpions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing trinidad scorpion

Grow them like you would any other pepper.
Proper soil, light, water, and nutrition.

Josh

o

lmao@josh

o

"Brevity is the soul of wit..."

A more precise question nets a more precise answer ;-)

Josh

o

shakespeare josh, well played!
as to the purpose of this thread, the only special instructions I can impart for trinidad scorpions, would be that for all C. chinense types Ive noticed they require more calcium than other varieties, otherwise they grow identically to other peppers, save for a few rare exceptions
paul

o

i treat them same as all the rest, just gotta get them in fairly early...

o

Sorry for not being specific, I was given the seeds and was tenative because I had a real problem with the Jolokia. I guess one of the main concerns I have is temperature. I have used a heat mat on serveral attempts to grow Jolokia and it seems like my plants get overheated or something, I dont seem to have a lot of luck with heat. How critical is heat?

o

Heat is important, but you have to keep it in a certain range. Below 70 is bad, but over 90 is bad too. Ideally you'd like to keep it at around 80.

I had the best germination with my bhuts last winter by putting them next to the heating vents and just keeping my heat set to a normal 68-70 degrees. The air that comes out is warmer than 70, heats up the moist soil (well, coco coir for me), which retains the heat better than air, so it stayed at just about the right temperature in the soil at all times.

I've also heard of people setting the seeds on top of indoor water heaters to similar effect.

Another option is to get an incandescent floodlight bulb and shine that on your mix, close enough for it to warm them without overheating.

When in doubt, stick a bowl of wet peat or coir in a spot for a few hours, then stick a regular medical thermometer in there and see what the temperature is.

o

if you have a heat mat use it, if they are getting too hot don't cover them. the domes are more trouble than they are worth. just keep them damp. kinda late to be starting seeds, I started mine in January. but I have found scorpions tend to overwinter and adapt to the lower light conditions indoors better than the other superhots

o

What problems did you have with the jolokia?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here