Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stupidhotpeppers

Super Hots for Taste

StupidHotPeppers
9 years ago

I have been eating each variety of my super hots that I have grown this year and I have noticed a very similar "perfume" Tate from most of them. It's hard to explain the taste but it's similar to a habanero I guess. Does anyone know of any super hots that have a different bite to them? I'm kind of looking to grow something that has more a smokey flavor other than the fruity perfume taste.

Comments (10)

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Trinidad Douglah.... different taste... different burn.. it will hurt you. John

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Did you grow any Brown Peppers this year ?
    7 Pod Douglahs are smokey so are Chocolate Morugas,you cant go wrong with Brown Butts ether. Some Reds have a more fruity flavor.
    You could always throw what you got in the smoker I do some every year. I got all 3
    Ill send you an E Mail

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

7pot madballz (the brown variant) has the deepest, smokiest flavor of any pepper I've ever tried.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Mako Akokasrade is not a superhot, but is quite spicy. It has a very different burn and flavor. The burn is not to the lips or front of the tongue, but to the back of the tongue. The flavor I find difficult to describe, but it is not like any other pepper that I have tried. I wouldn't call it smoky; it is earthy.

Rare African pepper. If you can find seeds, grow it.

Dennis

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

What did you grow?

I really hate that overwhelming perfume flavor, the kind found in most Habaneros.

I prefer the flavor of the Bhut Jolokias, Red, Yellow, Peach, Chocolate...but I know that some prefer the other Hab, Naga flavor.

Chocolate Habanero, however, does have a smoky profile and intense heat.

Josh

• StupidHotPeppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pepperdave I would more than appreciate that if you could. Judo that sounds pretty good I will have to get some of those to try. Thanks guys I appreciate the help

• seysonn
    9 years ago

It always amazes me as how some of you guys describe super hot peppers taste in minor details. I think as some musicians with well trained ear can tell if a note is like 10 cents off, so can a trained palate of a chilihead. I can tell the aroma by smelling a cut pepper, to some extent but when I chew on it, the intensity of the heat is such that my palate as well as part of my brain that receives the signal are numbed and only identify with the heat. LOL

• StupidHotPeppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Green man I agree with the chocolate habanero. I absolutely love them. They are one of my favorites for taste. Very fruity and not too hot. Seysonn it's good to hear from you. I remember when I first joined gardenweb you were one of my frequent people to follow up. I learned a lot from you and DMForcier. Scorpion john I didn't know they had a Trinidad Douglah. I grew the 7pot Douglah and I think that is one of the varieties I havnt eaten yet Bc I'm afraid to bite into it. I will look for those seeds. I got my little brother into hot peppers so I want to help him grow a bunh of cool varieties

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Trinidad Douglah is 7 Pot Douglah, as far as I know.

My buddy and I just ate another Douglah last night...I took him a gift bag of garlic and superhots (Bhuts, Douglah, and Reapers) from the garden.

After the Douglah, we sliced up a fresh lemon and had wedges....the flavor was excellent, sweet. Try it! Not only does the acid in the lemon cut the pepper oil, but the pepper blows out the receptors in the tongue and renders the flavor of the lemon sweet.

Josh

• Lars
    9 years ago

You can grill the chilies for a smoky flavor - that's what I do, and I make a sauce from the grilled chilies that has a very good smoky flavor. I use Mesquite charcoal and wood in my BGE, and I grill garlic and a mixture of Habanero plus mild chilies for the sauce. I recently found a good grill basket at Sur La Table for holding the chilies on the grill.

Lars

Sponsored