Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to ripen green peppers

Posted by dannya 5a montreal (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 05 at 9:33

Hi I have some habenero peppers and I had to harvest them because of the cold weather here in Montreal.My question is does anyone know how to ripen them to a bright red ?Little tricks that people tried to ripen them.I am sending some pics on my habs don,t know if I did it right but here it is.
Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/danthemantheunusual2000/detail?.dir=/ab5f&.dnm=9f6b.jpg&.src=ph

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to ripen green peppers

Well I've heard you can try storing them in a paper bag with an un-ripened tomato to promote pepper ripening...as the tomoto gives off ethylene gas the peppers will ripen...if the tomatoe matures red before the peppers are matured toss in a new green upripe tomato. Also stated that not ALL peppers have the ability to turn cut away from the parent plant. Now if I can remember where I read it? HA

Vera

o
RE: how to ripen green peppers

One thing that I have done, with jalapenos only so far, is to put them in a paper bag with a cut apple - which I think does the same thing as the tomato.

I found that about half of the jalap. turned red overnight, and the rest wouldn't turn regardless of how long they were in the bag. The peppers also started to get really soft though.

With the habs that I pruned, I just hung them up on a string in the kitchen and after 4 or 5 days most of them turned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here