Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockiecarol

Fermenting peppers

rockiecarol
11 years ago

I have these in the pantry happily fermenting away. In my research I have found people who ferment from 1 week to 6 years. Any suggestions on how long to wait? Have never had fermented peppers, so not sure what to expect from the taste. (they are a blend of all the peppers in my garden so expect it to be blazing hot)

Comments (19)

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Did you use a food processor or a blender? Add anything, like salt?

Interesting change in color. I wonder if it will stay that way.

• rockiecarol
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I added 3 tbsp pickling salt for 5 lbs. Thought that would fit in a half gallon jar. I was wrong, hence the color mix. I used my grinder actually. They were really juicy so didnt have to add water/brine.

• romy6
    11 years ago

Man that looks great. Did you use any tpe of starter?

• rockiecarol
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No starter, my research said didnt have to have it. It smells sooooo good in the pantry! Will work each jar at separate times for test. I think I will start with the mix of red/green. Am really interested to see how ot tastes!

• rockiecarol
    Original Author
    11 years ago

so, I processed the red/green jar. It was HOT!!! I added a quart of canned plums, including syrup, vinegar, and some salt. So far, have given it all away. My husb says it is liquid heat. Before my taste buds burned off, I could taste the nice fizzy taste that fermenting adds.

Any ideas on how to cut it further so it is edible by 'normal' people? My oldest son says it is good, not sure who he is and what happened to my son....

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

I've been lacto fermenting all sorts of things for over three years now using mostly the very simple basic method laid out in Sally Fallon's book 'Nourishing Traditions'.

As a general rule 3-5 days is all it takes for fermentation to be complete and then the food should go into the fridge or root cellar to 'finish off' or cure, i.e., to allow osmosis time to evenly balance salt, spices, and seasonings throughout the food.

Vinegar will kill the lacti bacilli that gives the probiotoc benefit of the fermented food, and if added too soon and in too great of amount it will prevent any lacto fermentation from occurring at all.

I ferment chile peppers, whole, minced, in relishes, and as a mole (from dried).

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

And my apologies, I meant to comment on how pretty and delicious looking those jars are in the photo, it's something to take pride in.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

I hate to say it, but you can cut the heat and keep it a salsa by adding a generous amount of that stuff what the label says is "Made in New Jersey".

New Jersey !?!

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Oh, and your son has become one of the "pod people".

Two points for decoding the reference.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Rockiecarol:

I haven't done any fermenting and like sidhartha said vinegar will probably kill the bacteria, but vinegar really does tame the heat of chiles. SO, maybe AFTER the whole process, add some.

Kevin

• rockiecarol
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kevin. I did put in 2 cups of vinegar to the final product. I hate to have too much vinegar, but have to tone it down somehow.

DMForcier: pod people!! I like! And never heard of the stuff from New Jersey? What am I missing?

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Well, "New Jersey" was where the stuff was made in the original commercials. For some reason they changed it to New York. It is the picante sauce that the cowboys reject because it is not Pace's. ("Get a rope.") I was referring to any old commercial picante sauce. I prefer Pace's Extra Hot, though in your case Mild would be better.

Hint: "Pod people" references a movie. Which one?

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Oh, and here's the translation for Canadians:

"New York City!?!ÃÂ ÃÂ Get a rope, eh?"

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

DM, that was always a favorite commercial....my friends reference it all the time still.

The Pod People are from The Body Snatchers, yes?

Josh

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

"The Pod People are from The Body Snatchers, yes?"

If you mean 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', then that's the one I'm thinkin' of also..... :-)

• rockiecarol
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DM, OK I know the commercial, just am slow... And Pace picante sauce, even hot doesnt phase me, does that give you an idea of how hot this stuff is? Folks are always surprised at how much heat I can take...

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Yes, 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'. I'll split the points between you.

Actually, I'm not sure that the phrase is ever used in the movie, but it has entered the lexicon to describe the metaphorical Commies from that classic story. Peppers give the meaning a whole new dimension.

---

I have to admit that I'm one too.

Saturday I went out to a Mexican restaurant for nachos and took one of my nice ripe red jalapenos with me. I carved it up for eating and offered a piece to my friend, saying that it was pretty mild. All my other jalapenos this year have been nearly sweet, but this one made him - and later me - breathe fire. 3-5,000 SHU my sweet patoot! This one was in the 30-50,000 range at least! Great with the nachos, though.

I took a fatalii (200,000 SHU) just in case the heat hadn't been enough but gave it to the waitress for her pepper-head husband. Love to have seen that scene, but alas!

• rdback
    11 years ago

Hi rockiecarol,

Waaay late to this party, but I'm curious as to where you are with the rest of your ferments. They look very interesting. Still cooking?

Rick

• rockiecarol
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still cooking. I forgot about them. This weekend is busy but I will be ramping up the Christmas gifts so will check it again. I want to make a sauce like Cholula, will have to do more research. Do you have suggestions?