Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agape67_gw

First time Ghoster

Agape67
9 years ago

This is my first time growing a Ghost plant and I have a question. I have 6 plants in the same container. These plants were never near any other kind of peppers so I know that there is no cross breeding happening. All my 5 out of the 6 plants are producing deep red but 1 and that is producing yellow peppers. Why is this?

Comments (18)

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Ghosts come in different colors Yellow is one of them. Not as hot as the Red but still a Ghost.
    They also come Brown, White [ I think a cross ] ,and Orange.
    If you save seeds from both you should be able to have 2 types next year.You got Ghosts just 2 different types. The yellow and Red have different flavors Yellow having less heat but really good flavor. Enjoy what you have and get some brown next year in a seed swap 3 flavors to enjoy. I know a farmer who got plants from an Amish grower and got a mix of all 3. Still all Ghosts.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Those Yellows don't look like Ghosts. Nagas, possibly.

Josh

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Agree with Josh in that they don't look like Ghosts. Here's mine...

I was amazed how much they taste like oranges, and were actually milder than the habs I grew this year. But then these are the first and only pods I've gotten off that plant so far.

• Agape67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The still green peppers on this same plant are full of wrinkles like mecdave's picture.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Show us some red ones. I would not have any problem with those yellows they look great Nagas?,Butts? Why care, just enjoy them

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Why is this?

Where did you get the seeds from? Last years swap?

• Agape67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will post a few more pics as well. The leaves on these plants are huge.

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

They both look yummy! Nice work. How do those red ones taste? Flavor and heat?

dj

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Interesting. Orange Naga's.

How is the taste. I hear the flavor is milder and more tasty with the colored superhots.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

A Red and Yellow Ghost for reference....

Josh

• OKgrowin
    9 years ago

there a few different phenos of ghost a smoother and gnarlier so they could still be ghost, but the heat being so low makes me think it's something else...

Similar looking peppers: datil, yellow fatalii, yellow devils tongue, habanero lemon, *bonda ma jacques kinda

• kclost
    9 years ago

Yea, they look just like my Yellow Fatalis... That's my pick....

• Agape67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't tried either of them yet. My plan is to try them over the weekend with my husband. I'll let everyone know what kind of wussy I was. :)

• Agape67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, The yellow was a little hotter than a Thai Super Chili but the RED..... OMFG.... I drooled, gaged, cried and almost puked....lol My mouth burned for over 20 minutes....lol Lets just say that as unpleasant as the burn was from eating it by itself I'm sure in food it would be easier to handle...lol

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Did you eat the whole thing? If you are interested, there was a long article on Bhut Jolokia in the June 2013 Smithsonian, the food issue.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

deleted duplicate message

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 2:35

• Agape67
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cottonwood468.....hell no I didn't eat the entire thing.....lol
    I only bit into the darn thing. A friend of mine who has eaten ghost peppers before said they are a ghost pepper but because of the short growing season up here they just didn't grow to full size but the heat is incredible considering.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I was savings seeds from the first one off my plant, very red. The seeds were in a sieve and I was rubbing them with my forefinger, and putting them under the running water. I was trying to remove little pieces of placenta. I had to stop and walk away for awhile, it was making me cough. Came back to it twice and then decided to just put them aside to dry.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County