Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Habanero or Scotch Bonnet?

Posted by sidhartha0209 KY_6 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 10:42

....or does it even matter? Are they the same plant? This was labeled as a Habanero when I purchased the plant but doesn't look like any that I've seen or grown before.

It's hot like a Habanero though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Habanero or Scotch Bonnet?

I'd say it is a Habanero. I've grown both habs and bonnets this year, and my yellow bonnets were very wrinkly, while this pepper on your picture looks smooth (like a hab). Hotness for habs and bonnets is pretty much the same, and they are a very close relative.
On that matter, i've noticed that yellow bonnets have a more pronounced "chemical-citrus" aroma than habaneros.

o

I'd say Scotch Bonnet. Same species as habanero (C. chinense) and roughly the same heat level. You could argue that they're essentially the same pepper with different shaped pods.

o

I grew the exact same type this summer. When I bought the seeds they were marked as "Big Sun Habanero" they were damn hot. I dried mine out, ground some up and bagged up a couple

o

Thanks for the input you all.

It's loaded with these green ones that aren't going to make it (I'm planning on pruning it back this Saturday), are they good to dry or freeze or make suace/salsa with?

o

The green ones are still good to use for dry or salsa.

I salvaged all my green or not fully ripe habs before the nights got too cold and dryed them all. Ground down to just a flake, not to fine. I find it adds flavour.

o

Try making salsa verde (green sauce) with the green chiles. Salsa verde is a staple in M�jican cxuisine.

o

Do you use onion in your salsa verde? I've been making a recipe with onion, but two different Mexican cooks tell me that there's no onion. One uses 5:3 jalapeno:tomatillo by weight, and as far as I can tell, not much else.

o

I believe I may have found it, this is exactly as they appear when fully mature.

Here is a link that might be useful: HABANERO MUSTARD

o

Yay! :) I love these guessing games. Especially when i guess right ;)

Cheers,
Djole

o

Hello
Can u send me some seed. I have 2 type of orange habanero and orange manzano pepper. Fresno, banana pepper , red jalape�o , red long cayenne pepper .I can send you pictures .we can trade seed
Thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here