Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsheets_gw

It's Been A Busy Summer

tsheets
10 years ago

Hi all,

I've missed the forum this Summer, but, it's been busy. In late June, I bought another house and moved. The Summer was basically spent keeping up two houses / yards and cleaning / reapairs getting the old place ready to sell.

Add to that, I haven't had Internet at home all Summer either. Very long story, but, before I even made an offer, I verified that both Mediacom and AT&T could provide Internet to my new house (both said yes). Once I made the purchase and tried to order service, neither could do it. So, I spent 3.5 months riding Mediacom's butt and as of this week I have both Internet and just got the old place on the market.

The good news is the new place has a lot more room and even some sunlight - what a novel idea for a garden!! LOL My old place had very little space and mostly shade. Well, I say it's good, but, it might just be enough rope to hang myself. It will take some self control to not plant so much that I can't keep up. Guess that's a good problem to have. :-)

Anyway, I didn't take many pics this year, and didn't have many plants, so I never had a big harvest all at once. Had a few here and there throughout the Summer.

Here are a couple of pics I did take earlier, and I am going to try to get the overwintering started this weekend so might take some before / after pics then.

Here's a small harvest from early August. 7-pot brain strain, 7-pot yellow, Christmas bell, and Guajillo (and poblano hiding in the back).

A closeup of the brain strain:

Here are the insides of the brain strain. Lots of placenta and oils. Scarey stuff!! :

I've got a few other varieties and harvested a pretty good amount over the course of the Summer, but, didn't take many pics.

Hopefully, I'll have some more pics to end the season.

Comments (13)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Great pics tsheets! Been wondering where you've been -- now I know. Great to hear about your real estate score! Now the fun begins... turning your new garden soil into some healthy, pod-producing earth.

Kevin

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You definitely did great, as one can tell from the pictures. It is doubly success story to do such a good job in transition and with all the things involved.

• User
    10 years ago

I hear ya tsheets, I haven't been around much this season as well due to real estate.

I didn't grow my usual amount of plants because we listed our place. Found a few nice places for sale but didn't execute because we weren't prepared to carry two properties. The market up here has really softened up and we never got a reasonable offer on our current place.

Nice harvest and shots. Interesting, your Brain Strains look a lot like my Morugas, which look a lot like rdback's Jonah's.

Congratulation on the new digs,

Bill

• tsheets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

The soil here is way different than what I'm used to. I've always had a clay soil (or fill dirt in some cases). Here I have very sandy soil. There was already a garden spot (not in use when I purchased the place), so, I just used that spot. I tilled in a bunch of leaves this weekend. I've been told that the previous owner did the same thing. By next year, I'll have a compost pile set up. :-)

I feel like I got pretty lucky with my new place. I had been looking for a long while, and this one popped up. There was another offer on it (in less than a week on the market), but, that fell through and I jumped on it. Now I just have to sell the old place.

The Brain Strains had quite a bit of variety in shape, but, I think that pic represents the majority. I got the seeds from Romy6. He warned me of the pod variations up front. I just wanted the wrinkly / bumpy texture, I'm happy with them. :-)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Leaves are good ESPECIALLY if there are worms. Worms convert leaves into casting, the best soil amendment, better than being composted.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Tsheets - Great looking harvest, nice and HOT looting!

Sandy

• rdback
    10 years ago

Nice looking Brains, tsheets! And I agree, the interiors look down right scarey!

Congrats on the new home.

Rick

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Beautiful pods, sir!
    Like Bill said, those Brains look nearly identical to the Moruga I grew from Bill's seed stock. Fiercely hot peppers!!!

Josh

• mspeppajo
    10 years ago

Congrats on the move Tim!! Sounds like an awesome place you got! Something you really wanted... That is totally cool !! Lol!! Sounds like everyone got itchy feet!! Bill looking for a place and we had to move as well. Unfortunately we are in a townhouse without a fence so a garden is probably not going to work. My garden is going to be either greenhouse if I can find and afford one or it will be in containers and not that large . OR by some miracle we will find a house and move again!! Lol! So I am looking for a lot of container type plants with a couple others I would like to try. Should be interesting!! You will definitely have to keep me informed on what your grow list is going to look like for next season and how it goes!! :)

• tsheets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

Less than a week after putting the garden to bed for the year, and I'm already getting itchy for Spring! LOL

All I had in the garden here this year was a bunch of volunteer tomatoes that we transplanted over here and a few really late starts (tomatoes). I ended up canning over 2 cases of tomatoes so that worked out well! But, I'm excited to have room to have for a variety of things.

• romy6
    10 years ago

Nice to hear the brains lived up to the hype. In my opinion the brainstrain is just a mutation from the moruga. ( I know this always gets a big debate started) . I have read many threads on other chili sites with no proof to if they are or are not. . Even from the people who introduced them into our pepper community. They have the brain skin and the insides look deadly( lethal ) . Great job and look forward to your next years garden. It should be better than ever.

Jamie

• tsheets
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jamie! They were great plants! I've got a lifetime supply of Brain Strains dried in the pantry. :-)

• mspeppajo
    10 years ago

I know what you mean about wanting it to be Spring again!! I am so torn!! I am a winter person - I LOVE SNOW!!! Though we barely get it here, so I am praying for it all winter! But I am excited about the next season!!! Aaaaaggghh!!!!! Well, time for a rest and figuring out how to do this is how I look at it....THEN into next season WOOOHOOOO!!!!

Sponsored