Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclost

Annoying Rot on Ghost Peppers

kclost
10 years ago

Hello forum,

This looks like a great place to learn... I'm a new Ghost Chilli grower but not new to growing hot peppers, and I have run into a new problem I can't seem to solve. You can see some of my Ghost peppers with the symptoms at various stages of worsening. The problem always appears on the lower third of the plant only on one side and not on the tip (probably not BER). My Nursery guy says it's from a stink bug and recommended some friendly insecticide that I have tried with no success. The plants/foliage looks great but I would say I have this problem on 80% of the fruit and I have a lot of fruit on the plants, very frustrating. The peppers that are unaffected are beautiful and mature evenly. You can see that these tend to ripen up top first and may still be green at the bottom, even before you see any rot. There are several peppers still on the vines that look just like the one on the far right "without" any rot at all for now, but still green on the bottom. Makes me think it could be a progressing desease. Btw, no symptoms of any kind on my Carribean Reds in the same bed.

Any help would be appreciated, even if it is too late.. Happy growing..

Comments (11)

• Boost313
    10 years ago

Had this on my bhuts this year. When they first started producing every pod picked had this. Total BER. A quick fix is some crushed up TUMS in water. Then water the plant soil thoroughly. Cleared mine right up. Haven't had issue since. Oh and I used maybe 10-15 tums crushed up into a gallon of water.

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Boost,

I will give it a try, I thought for sure that it wasn't BER because the very ends of the peppers do not seem to have the Rot on them and it seams to appear well after the pepper has been established. But I'm still learning on these babies.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

that is a sad sight indeed. I had that on one pod this year, but I'm pretty sure a bug did it.

• Boost313
    10 years ago

On mine it always started like the second one from the left. Small black spots. Then the areas grew larger within a couple of days. An it never started on the tips of mine either.

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I don't have much time left before we have our first frost/freeze so I took some measures last evening.

Did the epsom salt thing as well as spread some organic lime on the soil, watered everything in good. Also trimmed back the plants significantly (more than I wanted to in spots). But most all the good/decent fruit is still on the vine and we wil see what happens. Hopefully I didn't over do it and shock the plants, but like I said, don't have much time anyway and at least I have picked many good ones that I have dried.

Thanks for your input.

I'll let you know.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I think if any air gets inside pepper, it will eventually rot.
    It appears to me that maybe some bugs just made a tiny hole in there and that started the problem. The rot seems to be caused by the mold type of bacteria, which is airborne.

I do not think calcium deficiency plays a role here.

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would agree but there are to many peppers still on the vine that show no signs of an insect bite or boring inside. Just the lower part of the pepper stays green and then starts to rot in spots. Have used insecticide also when it first started with no help. "Always" appears in the same place as well.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Blossom End Rot doesn't just affect the very end...that's a common misunderstanding. Sounds like you've done what you can at this point. Next season, be sure to provide Calcium and Magnesium to your plants.

Josh

• Boost313
    10 years ago

From my short growing experience. When a pest/bug digs into a pod. (If air can get into the pod) The immature pod is aborted by the plant. Stem turns yellowish. Then the pod easily drops. BER shows up in the early rippening stage. An the plant still holds the pod. But the pod rots in shown area. Same happens with sunscald.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Let us hear from GHOST growers. As OP mentioned it only affected the Ghosts. As we no, in tomatoes certain varietis are more prone to BER, such as Roma(in m experienc) Or it occurs earlier in the season the go away.
    I have also seen rot in peppers that start as a soft spot, similar to tomato BER. I don't know how your peppers developed it.

There could be other factors such as lack of air circulation, fruits staying wet too long(especially at nights). Did you fertilize with any kind of manures ? frsh compost ?

• kclost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have thought about lack of air circulation, because this has been one of the calmest summers I can remember in the Kansas City area. Very little wind. No manure but I did use cotton husk compost in the spring before planting. I was probably too heavy with the miracle grow up until I started getting some fruit on the vines. That may have prevented the proper calcium intake needed if I understood a previous post correctly. The best way I can explain it is the peppers all look very good when green. When they start to ripen, usually the bottom part of the pepper is the last to turn to orange or red. (See the pepper in the pic with a green bottom) And around that time you either see some small dark spots or just one larger area that starts to darken/soften and go to rot like you see in the pic.