Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
preserve grilled pepper paste?

Posted by peppersmoke IL (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 11:00

Hello - I just grilled about a dozen poblano peppers then sauteed onions. I combined these in the blender with fresh basil, salt & about a teaspoon of olive oil and now I have a tasty thick paste.

I've read some of the posts about bottling/canning/jarring and I'm wondering if I can simply add vinegar & water to the paste to thin it out a bit & preserve it. Or do I need to cook it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: preserve grilled pepper paste?

Cooking it further does something else, it concentrates the flavor and the more you cook the more it concentrates.

Did it that way myself this year using italian super shephard peppers, i BBQ'd about 16 or 18 crates, peeled them all, then cut them up then cooked it down to about a two dozen jars. Hows that for concentrated?

In certain parts of the world that recipe is known as "ajvar" and is almost considered a delicacy because the flavor can be intense if made right and it takes so much work to complete.

As for the storage aspect you inquire about. I'm not too sure but i know i use mason jars with the 3-piece seal-able lids then add about two tablespoons of oil on top of each filled jar which helps keep it preserved and adds some of it's own flavor to the peppers. I have a hunch that something vinegar based is better for your quantity and proposed application but i'm not sure what ratio you should use (?)

o
RE: preserve grilled pepper paste?

The flavors are indeed intense. Not real hot but really full.

I'm guessing I have a lil' more than a pint of paste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here