Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Hybrid Peppers

ruthz
10 years ago

Normally I try not to grow hybrids because I want to be able to save seeds. However I do grow different peppers and have no way to keep them isolated, so the seeds may be crossed anyway.
What are your thoughts or experiences with growing hybrids?
I am growing hybrid Sun Gold tomatoes and it's the only one that produces in our very hot summers for me.
Do the hybrid peppers produce much better also?

Comments (6)

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

from what I understand, hybrids seem to grow more vigorously. they also tend to be more healthy, just like mutts tend to have fewer health problems than purebred dogs do, on average.

I don't currently have any hybrids growing (that I know of), but next year I'll be growing a few. I like the concept, and I've always loved surprises.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Ruth,

I always grow hybrid sweet peppers since there are a number of them I really like. I have been pretty lucky and they seem to be pretty consistant over the years with out much change year to year.

However it's a different situation with hybrid tomatoes I've grown. After about two years they seem to not do as good. They seem to be smaller....

Sandy

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Hybridizers concentrate on the SWEET side. Because on the hot/aji side there isn't much demand for it and not much money to be made.

• mikeysab
    10 years ago

I'm new to the world if hot peppers. Do hybrids not produce viable seeds? I received some seeds from am awesome member here and some were hybrids. So once I grow out these seeds, i'm done with that tyoe of pepper?

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

The seeds that come out of the hybrid pepper (F1) will grow a different plant than the pod that it came from, reverting back to a mixture of its grandparents' genetics (f2). As it continues to self pollinate over generations it will continue to change (f3, f4, etc)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I grew Ristra Cayanne, this is a hybrid jumbo cayenne pepper. I saved the seeds and was told they probably would not germinate and if I happen to have one germinate it would not grow true. The flavor was a little on the sweet side and a mild to hot kick to it. I managed to only get one seed to sprout and when it set pods the general shap was very close to the original but was 1/2 the size and the flavor was not the same. Not saying this is always the case some grow outs from hybrids actually look and taste good.

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 8:19

Sponsored