Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mybhutisburning

Bhut Jolokia.. Curious on a few items...1st time grower

MyBhutIsBurning
10 years ago

First... Hello to all and thank you for all the valuable insight I have gained from browsing this forum and its members.

I have recently decide to begin growing again and have decided to go with so bhut jolokia peppers that were sold to me last August. I left them in the pots that they came in and they seem to have grown very into very healthy plants(but my opinion is worth a wilted plant, lol).

I would just like some opinions and advice/tips for the peppers I have and their growth or lack of as some have 2-3 inch peppers and some have none. Also there was a weird white substance as well a discoloration of the stems in some of the plants.

I am posting a few pics and if needed will plant more up here. There are 6 plants total. Looks like I can only post one pic...:(

Comments (13)

• MyBhutIsBurning
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture of white substance

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to say but that doesn't really look like a bhut to me. it might be a hybrid or something. where did you get your seeds?

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

i agree don't look like Bhut has any of the pods ripened or do you have any other photos you can show us ?

• Jeff_H
    10 years ago

If you left them in the pots they came in, they are probably severely root bound and that probably stunted the growth. You can't plant these chinenese plants in pots big enough. I had several in 10 gallon pots and they were root bound by the end of the season. I'll be using some 15 gallon root pouches this coming year so my overwintered bhuts will be huge. A 5' high and 5' wide plant is what you can expect if the roots have enough room to stretch out.

I'll not comment on the discussion about whether that is really a bhut until we see better pics of the pods and the leaves. Bhuts have fairly unique looking leaves.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Yeah, that looks like a C. annuum leaf. Bhuts are C. chinense - different species.

Dennis

BTW, the white things are probably insect eggs. Don't worry about them.

• MyBhutIsBurning
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another Photo.

So how can I tell what they are? I got them from a gentleman in my town who is fairly reputable and sold me 6 of these. One per pot except on pot has two.

• MyBhutIsBurning
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Well, the leaves could go either way. But the pods look like no bhut I've ever seen. Suspect a hybrid, but annuum and chinense don't often cross so most likely no bhut in it at all.

This gentleman has a good rep you say? Who said so - him?

Dennis

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I agree. The leaves are suspicious and the pods doubly so. They're not Bhuts, for sure.

Josh

• MyBhutIsBurning
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well that is quite depressig...wish someone could tell me what they are and not just what they arent....damn I wanted bhuts

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

when a pod fully ripens, take a pic, and we'll be far more able to tell you what it is. it's unfortunate that you didn't get what you wanted to grow, but if the pods are tasty (and hot) it wasn't a total loss. write it off as a learning experience. it may well be a bhut hybrid, some of the pods look like they might have some bhut somewhere in their lineage, but they also look like there's some hab in there, but they're awful long and skinny for either of those varieties.

I feel bad for your situation, so if you PM me your address I'll send you seeds (for free) that will definitely grow into a bhut (I know because they come from my plants that are definitely bhuts), as well as some other tasty superhots that in my opinion are better tasting than the bhut, and well worth growing. almost all of my seeds were sent to me for free by people on here, and postage is only a dollar.

• scgreenthumb1987
    10 years ago

I've got a few chocolate bhut seeds I can send. Email me if your interested

• jtight
    10 years ago

Agree on the plants not being bhut. The look more like a wrinkly jalapeno

I can/will shoot you some Scorpion seeds if you would like those as well