Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Chili Pepper ID please

Posted by mikey33 5b Ont. (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 11:43

Hello all. My sister recently got some HOT chilis from a friend. The bush is about 5 feet high. She is using compost as a substrate and it is in a planter. She got it on sale at a nursery and it didn''t have a tag. Someone said it was a Hungarian chili or paprika. But this is VERY hot to me, and I am used to eating spicy. (Much hotter than a jalapeno)
Any guesses. Much appreciated.
Mikey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Chili Pepper ID please

What does the rest of the stem look like?
How long is the stem and how did these peppers hang?

The pods look longer than my Arbol chiles, and not as curved.

Maybe a slim type of Cayenne?

Josh

o

My guess would be Cayenne. Although my cayenne plant only grew just over a foot tall but it bushed out laterally quite nice. I guess there are different types, but those peppers look just like the ones i have. Yeah and they are HOTTER then Jalapeno for sure.

o

At a glance, I would say cayenne. Get those puppies drying!

o

Thai red most likely

just a guess

thanks joe

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 14:20

looks just like my slim cheyenne!

o

Looks just like my cayenne peppers from last year. Plant was only about 3 ft tall, but I didn't use any compost or anything. Definitely get those bad boys drying. Making cayenne powder is my favorite.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Garden

o

Thanks for your responses. It does look like cayenne to me now that you guys say so. Greenman...I can´t answer your questions as to how long the stem was, as I have never seen the plant.
Cheers and thanks for the responses, Mikey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here