Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhgardenweb

Ghost chili peppers

jhgardenweb
11 years ago

I just harvested my first peppers off my ghost chili peppers. I tried them and they are not as hot as I expected. They seem to be around habanero heat. They also don't really look like the pictures I see. I am thinking they may not be ghost. Any ideas?

Comments (17)

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Those are not Ghost (Bhut Jolokia) peppers. They do look like a Habanero.

Where did you get the seed or plant?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Man, those look much like the Caribbean Red Habaneros that seedrack.com sold as Bhut Jolokias.

Josh

• andyandy
    11 years ago

greenman-
    I got "ghost pepper seeds" from the same place. They are really a type of thin orange Habaneros. Someone looked at a picture of some that I picked Saturday and speculated that they may really be a cross between a ghost and a Hab. I would have to rate them as unreliable for ghost pepper seeds.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I'm sorry you got spammed by that crappy company, as well.

It doesn't surprise me that they're selling the same stock knowing for two years that their seed
    is bunk! That's why I never miss an opportunity to tell others DO NOT BUY FROM SEEDRACK.COM!

Josh

• sandy0225
    11 years ago

They look like something crossed up but def not bhut

• Armageddon
    11 years ago

those are 100% not Bhuts nor do they look like there even remotely crossed with bhuts ...way to smooth and small .

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

The seed and fertilizer market is so woefully under-regulated.

There's a lot of fly-by-night seed sellers that, literally, legally, cannot and should not be in business...and the same for many home-cooked fertilizer companies.

There's even legit companies (well, if you count Reimer who at least tries to do it's purchasing right...even when they fail) that keep getting screwed over by who they source seed from.

Seed companies that should be immediately shut down run for years...controlled pesticides/herbicides you should only be able to get via a license can be obtained on ebay/amazon...

It's crazy...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

One of the biggest problems with seed retailers is that they can sell the same bogus seed for about 5 or 6 months before their customers realize they did not get the seed they asked for. By that time, they have sold hundreds or thousands of $5 packets of bogus seed. And unless people do a lot of research, there is no way to really tell which seed retailers have a good reputation or not.
    Asking for advice on this list is probably one of the best ways to make a decision who to buy from.
    Bruce

• bberkmor
    11 years ago

Ya, and 5 months of our time is worth a lot more than $5 worth of seeds

• bberkmor
    11 years ago

Ya, and 5 months of our time is worth a lot more than $5 worth of seeds

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

bberkmor:
    True. Most people have no problem spending $5 for 10 seeds as long as they get what they are expecting to get. It is just sooo disappointing when you grow out some seeds that you ordered and after five or six months of nursing them along, you finally get some fruit and find out you have a Bell Pepper when you wanted a Ghost Pepper. Yes, many times you will be able to tell something is wrong before fruit grows. But it you are inexperienced growing peppers or inexperienced with the variety you are trying to grow, it isn't always real evident you have an imposter growing until it is way past time that you can start over with fresh seed. It winds up screwing up a whole season of growing. That is the shame in it all. There have been several people on this forum that have grow "weeds" for 5 months before they realize something is wrong.
    So, finding a good reliable source for seed is very important if you are serious about growing peppers.
    Bruce

• kentishman
    11 years ago

jhgardenweb,

Sorry you didn't end up with Ghost chiles. You'll probably avoid this if you get seeds from other chileheads. I've grown some decent looking Ghosts, both red and yellow, and will be pleased to fix you up with seeds. Send an email if you're interested.

Tom

• kentishman
    11 years ago

jhgardenweb,

I can't get my email address to display in my member profile. If you want to post on this thread, I'll check back later to see if you want seeds.

Tom

• bberkmor
    11 years ago

Ya Bruce. When I found out I got the wrong seeds it was dissappointing to say the least, I'm glad I found this forum and got some real seeds for next year, just sucks having to wait for another season

• bberkmor
    11 years ago

Ya Bruce. When I found out I got the wrong seeds it was dissappointing to say the least, I'm glad I found this forum and got some real seeds for next year, just sucks having to wait for another season

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

Your peppers look like Scotch Bonnets to me. They should be pretty hot and very flavourful. Sorry about your experience with e-Bay. I have never used it myself.

• madpatter
    11 years ago

Those are absolutely carribean reds. The tell all is how the stem caps the pepper.A habanero stem is inset to the crown of the pepper.I grow bhuts,nagas,red savinas,habaneros,carribean reds and,thai chilis.The texture of the flesh and attatchment of the stem is the basic easiest way to determine the difference I have found.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia