Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thundertoe

Insect Eggs On Stalks

thundertoe
10 years ago

hello all,

1st off, i've been obsessively lurking in this forum for a few months now, and you all have helped me immensely already, so thank you

that said, i've been noticing clusters of bug eggs on stems, hanging from the underside of my jalapeno plant.

panic mode immediately ensued, and i got rid of them.

however, after googling, i realize that these are probably lacewing eggs, and i may be killing the good guys.

my question is this: are there any other (vile, evil pepper-destroying) bugs that lay eggs on stems? or should i let the next batch hatch/search/destroy?

sorry, no pics this time

what say ye? anyone? bueller?

Comments (11)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Lacewing eggs are as I can best describe hanging on a thread like hair with a tiny pin size egg sack at the end of it. A lot of insects lay eggs and I doubt any come close to the way lacewings do. Aphids are bad and stink bugs which have made it to this forum quite a bit so those, not to forget the painful white fly infestation.

Mark

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Greetings - It sounds like either Aphids or white fly infestation as Mark mentioned or another bad bug. Not Good at all!

Sandy

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Sounds like Lacewing eggs to me, too.
    I had some on my Pachira this Summer, and I let them hatch. They're the good guys.

Josh

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

My philosophy on bugs is to ignore them until the horn worms show up. (Then I pull out my .410. )

a) Keeps the anxiety to a minimum.
    b) Encourages predators. I had only one horn worm survive the wasps this year, and the peppers (especially the SE Asians) were patrolled by an entire herd of assassin bugs! (A fascinating story; wished I'd thought to take pics.)
    c) Keeps grower alcohol consumption down (see a) above).

Moral: Don't worry. If something bad does show up wait a bit to see what kills and eats it. If nothing does, then - and only then - blow it away.

Dennis

P.S. If a cat shows up to eat them, don't blow it away. It's probably only Minnie. Send her home.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I don't know what that is. Is it evil?

[Vague Buffy reference ^^^]

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Depending on who you are asking, the bugs or the assassin bug!

• samturczak
    6 years ago

Hi all. Are you talking about these strange clusters of hairs with white tips? I've been finding them coming off my balcony windows and occasionally off the wall. Not one to kill unnecessarily but I've been swiping them away for fear of spiders hatching. I've no idea if they are friend or foe. I keep lots of orchids, herbs and leafy house plans on my balcony. Should I keep swiping or shall I let them stay?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    6 years ago

Yes those look exactly like lacewing eggs. The question for you is why they are there. Your plants may be providing a good food source. Check your plants to make sure nothing like aphids are out of control. Or it could just be a safe place for the larvae.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    6 years ago

Interesting. I can't say I have ever noticed any where I live. Either eggs or adults.

• mathcat60
    4 years ago

After handling a leaf with I assume lacewings, my whole back of my hand feels like it’s been stung. Is that possibly from those eggs?

Sponsored