Anyone wanna trade pods?

Comments (10)

• dirtdaddy
    10 years ago

What a great bunch of chiles! What are the yellow ones, front right? dd

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If i remember right, those were the yellow devil. Fatali is farther up in the pile

• stormtruck2
    10 years ago

Very nice selection and crop. Lovely photo and composition. Good job!!

• lexxluthor
    10 years ago

Very nice indeed.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Great harvest! What are the orange long ones towards the front? Just curious.

• gfinnil
    10 years ago

I would if I had any pods...impressive group there.
    Jerry

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I think you're right on the Devil's Tongue. The stem of a DT is slender, comes off at an angle and is curved where the fatalii stem is thicker, shorter, and enters the pod straight. Also a subtle difference in pod shape - more pointy with straighter sides.

I have to say that I like my DTs this year. Good flavor and not quite as hot as the fatalii (small sample, though). However, they are FAR less prolific than fatalii. It's a trade off.

Dennis

P.S. I have lots of pods too. What do you have to trade?

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sheets, those are Aji Ahuachapau or cap220. I grew a bunch of stuff out this year for fresh seed for Smokemaster.

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dennis, very good observation on the devils tongue. You brought up something i have never payed much attention to, stem size and angle. I am gonna have to start checking out stems now. I never really thoughtof being able to ID by the stems. Are there alot of other peppers like that? In addition to what you said, devils tongue stays fat at the top and fatali is tapered in. Thats how i tell them apart. I wouldn't say mine are far less prolific than the fatali. Maybe a little bit in general, but fatali is exceptional most of the time. As for pods, they are saying 28 here wednesday night so that will be my final pick for the outside plants. I will let you know what i get. I already closed my one garden at my parents about 40 minutes away saturday. It didn't end up getting hit as hard as i thought it was going too. Only very light frost, should have let it go but its close enough to the end whats a couple of days matter.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I wasn't really looking for a stem difference, just for differences, and noticed that difference. In my experience the angled stem is generally unusual, though. I don't recall another like it.

As for yield, my one plant finally ripened about a dozen pods early this month. By this time last year my big fatalii had produced at least 200 pods continually from mid-summer. This year the red fataliis set a bunch early then got sold and the two remaining set late then yielded 4 times what the DT did. But of course, small sample on the DT.

They're calling for temps down into the 30s tomorrow, but I'm not going to do much. There's still plenty growing season left [knock wooden object].

Dennis

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH