Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

Habanero Magnum Gold???

chilliwin
10 years ago

Habanero????

Whatever it is I like the taste and the productivity, I got about 500 pods from this plant.

18th October 2013

{{gwi:1231946}}

So called overwinter, not re-potted yet. I do not know whether it is too much cut or not.

24th October 2013

{{gwi:1231947}}

Last year I lost all my overwinter plants due to the fungus and the other factors.

I did not use hydrogen peroxide for the cutting stems but I used Atamon it is an organic preservative for jam, pickle and juice. We have been using it since 1938.

{{gwi:1231948}}

Caelian

Comments (11)

• loweride
    10 years ago

Can you share information on overwintering and how to prune and what else to do? Maybe a good youtube video or something. There is a lot out there, but I don't know which ones to believe.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do not have much experiences of overwinter, last year I lost all my overwinter plants.

Here is some information about overwinter, it may be useful.

"- As soon as your plant has finish fruiting - make sure you pick all the ripe chilli seed pods from your chilli plant (this tells the plants to produce more in future).

- Next, you would want to prune your plants right back, leaving just a short stem - this includes trimming back the majority of vegetation. This may sound like a harsh thing to do, however it will help your plant to concentrate its energy and not waste any during the winter trying to sustain all that vegetation.

- You can also repot your chilli plants in slightly smaller containers in order to concentrate your plants energies into a smaller space ready for hibernation.

- And finally, make sure you move your chilli plants some place warm to give them the best chance of surviving the winter (preferably in a greenhouse or near a sunny window sill indoors where the average temperature will be higher, which helps your plants during the cold winter months."

Caelian

Here is a link that might be useful: The Link

• hillseeker
    10 years ago

chilliwin EU would you be willing to swap some seeds? I have some nuclears, and a few spicy chocolate varieties.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HillSeeker I have grown this plant with other varieties so the seeds could be crossed.

"CROSSING POSSIBILITIES

Any two pepper varieties of the same pod type or species will cross, such as Jalapenos crossing with piquins. Within Capsicum annuum, all varieties of all pod types will cross. Among the five species, the following scenarios occur:

1. C.annuum: Crosses prolifically with C.chinense, sporadically with C.baccatum and C.frutescens; does not cross with C.pubescens.

2. C.baccatum: Crosses sporadically with C.annuum, C. chinense, and C. frutescense; does not cross with C. pubescens. However, C. baccatum produces only sterile hybrids with other species.

3. C. chinense: Crosses prolifically with C. annuum, sporadically with C. frutescens and C. baccatum; does not cross with C. pubescens.

4. C. frutescens: Crosses sporadically with C. annuum, C. baccatum, and C. chinense; does not cross with C. pubescens.

5. C. pubescens: Does not cross with any of the other species."

So all my seeds could be crossed.

Caelian

• hillseeker
    10 years ago

I'm ok with a cross if you don't mind sharing some seeds. It looks like a very interesting plant. Curious if it is similar to a habanero tree variety. I didn't have enough time to try them this year so next year.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Beautiful plant! I've never seen one so loaded with ripe pods!
    Caelian, have you removed those pods yet? Oh, and it's not pruned too low at all.

Josh

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the belated reply.
    Josh, I haven't removed the pods I like them overripe for seeds.

Caelian

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

It seems I read it's a Hybrid.

Stable or not I don't know.

I see several vendors calling it a developed strain of hab.

I also see Gold and Orange Magnums - sales pitch for the same thing?

I don't know.

Plant definately has hybrid vigor by the looks of it.

Heavy pod set...pod variation(segmented,round bottoms and pointed),

Hybrid signs,but can be due to other things at times too.

Post if your growout seeds grow the same plant.
    Just curious.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think so it could be hybrid. I have bought a packet of Snow White seeds. Out of ten seeds this one is completely different. Just I called "habanero magnum gold" after I have seen some pictures on the net. Last week I sowed a couple of seeds, if it is germinated I'll post here.

Caelian

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful tree pepper and so loaded with fruil. You cut it back prperly but you need to remove the peppers so that the plant knows it is time to go to sleep and conserve it's energy for new growth as spring approaches.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am going to remove all the pods.

All my overwinter plants were not root pruning only I have trimmed the branches. Now I have some undesirable developments of my plants. They started branching with flower buds so fast. Some of them have sign of nutrient deficiency such as wrinkle leaves. I am thinking to do full fertilization.

You see the new branches, the other plant is Ghost Chocolate.

{{gwi:1231949}}

Caelian

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus