Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Habanero Magnum Gold???

Posted by chilliwin EU DK 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 12:15

Habanero????

Whatever it is I like the taste and the productivity, I got about 500 pods from this plant.

18th October 2013

Habanero Magnum Orange 18OCT13A photo IMG_3705_zpsc04675f8.jpg

So called overwinter, not re-potted yet. I do not know whether it is too much cut or not.

24th October 2013

Habanero Magnum 24OCT13A photo IMG_3746_zpsb1a086cf.jpg

Last year I lost all my overwinter plants due to the fungus and the other factors.

I did not use hydrogen peroxide for the cutting stems but I used Atamon it is an organic preservative for jam, pickle and juice. We have been using it since 1938.

Habanero Magnum 24OCT13B photo IMG_3747_zpsc321af91.jpg

Caelian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Habanero Magnum Gold???

Can you share information on overwintering and how to prune and what else to do? Maybe a good youtube video or something. There is a lot out there, but I don't know which ones to believe.

o

I do not have much experiences of overwinter, last year I lost all my overwinter plants.

Here is some information about overwinter, it may be useful.

"- As soon as your plant has finish fruiting - make sure you pick all the ripe chilli seed pods from your chilli plant (this tells the plants to produce more in future).

- Next, you would want to prune your plants right back, leaving just a short stem - this includes trimming back the majority of vegetation. This may sound like a harsh thing to do, however it will help your plant to concentrate its energy and not waste any during the winter trying to sustain all that vegetation.

- You can also repot your chilli plants in slightly smaller containers in order to concentrate your plants energies into a smaller space ready for hibernation.

- And finally, make sure you move your chilli plants some place warm to give them the best chance of surviving the winter (preferably in a greenhouse or near a sunny window sill indoors where the average temperature will be higher, which helps your plants during the cold winter months."

Caelian

Here is a link that might be useful: The Link

o

chilliwin EU would you be willing to swap some seeds? I have some nuclears, and a few spicy chocolate varieties.

o

HillSeeker I have grown this plant with other varieties so the seeds could be crossed.

"CROSSING POSSIBILITIES

Any two pepper varieties of the same pod type or species will cross, such as Jalapenos crossing with piquins. Within Capsicum annuum, all varieties of all pod types will cross. Among the five species, the following scenarios occur:

1. C.annuum: Crosses prolifically with C.chinense, sporadically with C.baccatum and C.frutescens; does not cross with C.pubescens.

2. C.baccatum: Crosses sporadically with C.annuum, C. chinense, and C. frutescense; does not cross with C. pubescens. However, C. baccatum produces only sterile hybrids with other species.

3. C. chinense: Crosses prolifically with C. annuum, sporadically with C. frutescens and C. baccatum; does not cross with C. pubescens.

4. C. frutescens: Crosses sporadically with C. annuum, C. baccatum, and C. chinense; does not cross with C. pubescens.

5. C. pubescens: Does not cross with any of the other species."

So all my seeds could be crossed.

Caelian

o

I'm ok with a cross if you don't mind sharing some seeds. It looks like a very interesting plant. Curious if it is similar to a habanero tree variety. I didn't have enough time to try them this year so next year.

o

Beautiful plant! I've never seen one so loaded with ripe pods!
Caelian, have you removed those pods yet? Oh, and it's not pruned too low at all.

Josh

o

Sorry for the belated reply.
Josh, I haven't removed the pods I like them overripe for seeds.

Caelian

o

It seems I read it's a Hybrid.

Stable or not I don't know.

I see several vendors calling it a developed strain of hab.

I also see Gold and Orange Magnums - sales pitch for the same thing?

I don't know.

Plant definately has hybrid vigor by the looks of it.

Heavy pod set...pod variation(segmented,round bottoms and pointed),

Hybrid signs,but can be due to other things at times too.

Post if your growout seeds grow the same plant.
Just curious.

o

I think so it could be hybrid. I have bought a packet of Snow White seeds. Out of ten seeds this one is completely different. Just I called "habanero magnum gold" after I have seen some pictures on the net. Last week I sowed a couple of seeds, if it is germinated I'll post here.

Caelian

o

That is a beautiful tree pepper and so loaded with fruil. You cut it back prperly but you need to remove the peppers so that the plant knows it is time to go to sleep and conserve it's energy for new growth as spring approaches.

o

I am going to remove all the pods.

All my overwinter plants were not root pruning only I have trimmed the branches. Now I have some undesirable developments of my plants. They started branching with flower buds so fast. Some of them have sign of nutrient deficiency such as wrinkle leaves. I am thinking to do full fertilization.

You see the new branches, the other plant is Ghost Chocolate.

photo IMG_3851640x480_zps55ebe3a6.jpg

Caelian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here