Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uncleflip

Advice for a pepper noob heading inio winter, please.

uncleflip
9 years ago

Howdy.....VERY new at growing peppers- and most gardening. I have 8 first-year plants (2 each of Anaheim, Habanero, Tabasco, and Thai.) They are in roughly 1 gallon pots, and tend to top out at about two feet. They have not been prolific producers, but I hope to do better with them next year.

I Live in Birmignham, AL- zone 8a, apparently. Would it be best to bring my plants in for the winter, or leave them out in this zone? (Of course, I understand that if there's a particularly cold night I should probably bring them in.) If they come in, they would be in a room with mostly lots of SW sun, but no heat. (A door could be opened to let some heat from the house in some of the time.)

If I do bring them in, what should I do if I experience a leaf drop? (I have had this happen with other plants. Once the laves started dropping, they were not long for the world, unfortunately. I'm sure I was doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what to do RIGHT.)

BIG thanks from a gardening noob, if you can offer some advice!

Comments (8)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum, flip.

I grew in Atlanta for a while. In Birmingham, you will get plenty of cold nights that the plants wouldn't survive. But you have few plants in small pots, so the idea of bringing them in only when it's going to be cold is viable - so long as you are religious about it. (Actually, my plants survived several sub-zero periods - once overnight - with no lasting effect, but they were in big pots.)

If you do the "only when cold" thing, the plants will slow down due to the shorter days, but essentially will keep doing their thing all winter long. If you bring them inside permanently they will be safer, but will show more pronounced effects. It's still a viable option, though, even without trimming (a common over wintering practice).

Frankly, you have common plants that you could replace from Lowes next year. So don't be afraid of experimenting. Bring a couple in permanently. Do the other thing with the rest. You will learn a lot! And next year your garden will hit the ground running. You will have pepper when everyone else is cursing their seedlings.

Good luck,
    Dennis

P.S. Please join the 2014 Holiday Seed Swap to get some much more interesting varieties. No need to send seeds to get back more than you can use.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

" (Actually, my plants survived several sub-zero periods - once overnight - with no lasting effect, but they were in big pots.) "

Sub-zero C or F?

• uncleflip
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dennis: Is the 2014 Holiday Seed Exchange the same as the Seed Exchange forum? I'm rather new to gardenweb, and don't really see anything otherwise.

Thanks!

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

C. (I meant "sub-freezing".)

flip, not the same as the swaps in the Seed Exchange forum. There are enough active members here that we generally run our own. If you want veg or flower seeds, the exchange is the place to go. There should also be Trade list for every member in his profile, though few fill them out and I for one have a heck of a time even finding them.

Dennis

This post was edited by DMForcier on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 17:00

• uncleflip
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Dennis. I posted in the swap. I'm not looking for any one thing in particular, but just thought I'd take anything interesting left over from everyone else's requests. It'll be kind of like Christmas morning when I open the package and see what's in there. :)

I already have seed in hand for Reapers, and have seed on the way for Filius Blue. (It's an Ingress thing for me. Blue is my team's color.)

• Mad Ferret
    9 years ago

I overwinter most of mine (or at least the good ones) and if you get leaf drop from overwatering your probably screwed. If it's underwatered then they usually recover even if they look like sticks for a while.

I've had some for 3 or 4 years now. A sunny windowsill is all I've needed.

I've even got a 'dwarfed' Thai chilli that keeps going all through winter.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

> " It'll be kind of like Christmas morning when I open the package and see what's in there. :)"

You got that right! :-)

Include a note saying what you don't want. It will help Johnny spread the extras around.

Dennis

Sponsored