Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gfinnil

Caribbean Red taste

gfinnil
10 years ago

I tried my first CR last night...wow, hot as hell with that distinct habanero flavor...therein lies my dilemma. I'm not sure if I really like the habanero flavor...I don't dislike it but not sure if I would look for that taste. So what peppers would give me a comparable heat with perhaps a different flavor profile? Still prefer the taste of the Thai Dragons...too damn small and seedy for an everyday pepper though.
Jerry

Comments (7)

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

that hab flavor is the dividing line for pepper growers. it seems either you love it or hate it. you seem to be sitting on the fence. personally I love it. my favorite is still the brain strain 7pot, but I love that habby flavor. it goes very well with a lot of dishes (I love chopping one up with the bell peppers and onions for fajitas, and tossing one into a pot of stew when my wife isn't looking), and especially well in sauce. but that's just my opinion.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I am not a big fan of the Hab flavor, except for chocolate Habs totally different flavor in my opinion. Also Fatalii are a great tasting pepper for those who don't like the Hab flavor. To me 7 pots are different in flavor compaired to a standard Hab so it's worth a shot growing those. I always recommend the Bhut/Ghost chili the flavor is great.

Mark

• bunnyman
    10 years ago

I grow several kinds of peppers because each has a different flavor. Just for habs I have Burpee orange, Caribbean Red, and Red Savina. The RS I use as deer repellant... think I also got the neighbor who was swiping a few tomatoes while I was at work. I've made pepper jelly with the other two and they have considerable difference in taste.

Soil nutrients also have an impact on flavor. I keep my plants for a couple years in flower pots and when they run out of nitrogen they lose heat.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Like Mark, I'm no fan of the Hab flavor...but the Chocolate Hab is unique, smoky, earthy...the best of the hab's in my opinion. And wow do they go well with a grilled tritip.

For a different flavor, try the Datil pepper...it's hot, but not too strong a Hab flavor. Bhut or Naga, while much hotter, give different flavors as well - and the Naga goes into a salsa very nicely. The Bhuts are superb in jams or jellies.

Josh

• sandy0225
    10 years ago

Try aji limon, not quite as hot as hab, try Jamaican yellow scotch bonnet, ghost peppers don't have the hab flavor, try fatalii and also red scotch bonnet. They are hot but not that musky flavor. Also the white habanero, almost forgot that one...

• RichieD
    10 years ago

That habanero flavor will grow on you. I didn't like them at first, but after using pieces of them in cooking, I really learned to love that strange taste they have.

I was the same way with Thai basil, couldn't stand it at first, now I use the leaves all the time.

• chewbaccamonkeylunch
    10 years ago

Jerry lol!!! Hang in there man! Get you fixed up in time for Spring bro!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks