Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

keeping lots of pods from going to waste

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

my primary use for my superhots is making sauce with them. I had about 150 pods (several different varieties) in the fridge, that were beginning to go soft. school is kicking my ass right now (5 classes of all upper level engineering material) so I don't have time to make them all into sauce right now. I didn't wanna deal with freezing them (namely due to lack of experience doing so), and what I wanted to do was make a sauce out of a blend of all the varieties. I did this not too long (with about 60 peppers) ago and made over a gallon of the hottest sauce I've ever made.

so my solution was to toss all 150 in the blender and put in just enough vinegar to get them to blend well (14 fl oz in this case). it reduced to about 40oz of thick liquid, so strong it burned my nose before I even opened the blender. I figure when I go to make sauce, if I'm making a small batch I'll just put a few oz of the "dense mix" in the blender with a bell or two, and add spices.

I find that for me the perfect level of heat is roughly 1 superhot per 5oz bottle of sauce. so that should mean I can make 150 bottles of perfectly hot sauce out of this if I divide it up evenly, with a fair degree of consistency since it's all coming from the same base.

note the awesome color achieved due to all the chocolate pods in there. my wife thinks I need a warning label on that stuff if it's gonna stay in the fridge.

Comments (29)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Kinda surprised the glass isn't melting.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Judo ... you've found the best practical way to deal with them pepps. Your wife is right . Label them with a symbol of a draggen red flame.
    I wouldn't worry about color. Some mato sauce, red sweet pepps, paprika can do it.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the color didn't come thru very well in the pic. that seems to happen with sauces (and my phone camera) for some reason. it's a nice dark brownish red. and apparently the method works out well, because the sauce I made today is freaking delicious. 2 fl oz (1/4 cup) of that fire paste made 8 bottles of perfectly hot sauce.

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

Like you, my primary reason for growing hot peppers is for sauce. Last year, I went a bit overboard and ended up with way too many peppers, so like you, I blended them with a bit of vinegar and a little salt, but I blended them separately. I stored them separately, and I am still using them to make pepper sauce now. I tend to make different blends depending on the recipient of the sauce and their heat tolerance. I'm kinda lucky to have these pepper 'stores' because I had a disaster with my garden this year and got very few peppers, but the ones from last year are still there for my sauce. Saved!!!

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

Have you thought about blending and pouring into ice cube trays to freeze and storing the cubes in labelled bags? This would maybe help with easy portioning when you decide to make more sauce?

or what I do-

I have never tried drying anything until now (experimenting at this moment) and have always just chopped up in my food processer then packaged in those little plastic seed bags - holds about 2 tablespoons. Then I just write the name on the package and into the freezer it goes. Easy to pull out a pack and add it bread dough or such things.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Jason - Job well done!

Sandy

• seysonn
    10 years ago

If 2 oz of that stuff make 8 bottles, then 40 oz of it will make 160 bottles of HOT sauce. Maybe more.

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

Great idea, judo. I, also, have about 50 pepperrs sitting on my counter and I just spent 1/2 of a day making hot sauce about two weeks ago and am not ready to make more yet. I will do what you did there.

Thanks.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Thats a great idea. Is there any reason i couldn't boil the liquid and pour into jelly jars to seal? With all the vinegar i would think it would be fine at room temp if sealed? And jelly jars would be the perfect size to open and make a few bottles at a time. Anyone with more experience preserving got any thoughts? John

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

I have been canning stuff for about 12 years or so. Both water bath and pressure. If I was doing this I would simply pour the hot liquid into the clean jelly jars and then immerse in a big pot of boiling water (water bath method). You don't need pot specifically for canning but you do need to make sure the jars are not sitting on the bottom of the pot - use a rack or any other item you have around to accomplish this and that still allows the jars to be totally immersed below the surface.
    Don't screw the caps on too hard or the air will not be able to escape.
    Boil about 10 minutes, remove - when cooling they each will make a popping sound - the lid will then be concave. When this has happened and you press the lid with your finger there is no clicker noise. This means the vacuum is good.
    It only takes a few extra minutes but then you know you are safe.
    I may not have explained this well, so if you need me to clarify anything, just shout.
    Lori

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Thanks Lori, i know how i just wondered if it would even need waterbathed cause of the vinegar. I dont water bath my reg. Peppers just pour the boiling liquid over them and cap. So they dont get soft.. but i guess this blend wouldn't matter so its better to be safe. Thanks

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Jason, were those seeds and all? I was going to remove the seeds but it would be alot easier leaving them in. And Lori, i have about 500 superhots i need to use up. Any idea how many jelly jars this would fill? Just give me some kind of rough idea if you can. I have tons of pints and quarts but i would like to use the smaller jars and may need to buy more jelly jars for this project

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

seeds and all. I've never once gotten a complaint that my sauce still had seeds in it. plus, most the heat is in the placenta, and I want it all. ...and I'm lazy. so if nobody is complaining about the seeds, I'm not messing with them. also, I don't strain my sauces, I like them a bit on the thick side.

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

Oh, I'd have to say that I don't really know how many jars. I like the 1 cup jars and if I had to make a guess I would say a couple dozen of these. That's a starting point. If you buy too many jars for the straight heat, you then will have some leftover for jellies and wherever else your imagination takes you.
    Sorry I wasn't much help here.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Oh man those look like yummy jars of heaven, or hell i suppose.

No hot sauce for me this year, unfortunately, but most of the leftovers have been pickled and distributed amongst family members.

This year i also picked up a bunch of olive oil in glass bottles, cut up a bunch of different types of peppers and threw them in. I let them soak in room temperature for a few days then put the the bottles in the fridge for long term storage. It tastes so good i can't stand it :). I'm guessing you can throw it into other types of oil but it may lower the oil's smoking point and not hold up to deep frying very well.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 14:51

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention that I also put oil and peppers in grolsch bottles - use it to roll bread dough sticks, roll in parmesan/oregano/rosemary mix, then bake - yum, then numb ...

• tsheets
    10 years ago

That's a cool idea, Lori (the breadsticks)!!!

• jtight
    10 years ago

i make hot sauce almost weekly. The use of vinegar creates a natural preservative and by blending the peppers into vinegar they will store effectively. In saying that you need to check them a/ shake regularly as the vinegar will begin to settle.

I would suggest taking the extra 3-5 secs, per pod, to try a/ de-seed as many as poss. just the seeds. Two reasons:
    1. Obvious - no/less seeds for person to bite
    2. You could sell the seeds

I sell seeds to: Ghost, Scorp, Cayenne, a/ Habanero

Certo makes an easy "jelly canning" recipe. You could look to use leftovers to make.

Other uses/suggestions that I do:
    1. Make pepper infused olive oil (as mentioned above)
    2. Dry them a/ grind up
    3. Make pepper-sicles (variation of popsicle)
    4. I have (this year) taken Scorps and infused them into Tequila Blanco. Makes for some "HOT SHOTS"

Just some suggestions

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't sell seeds. I don't think anyone on this forum buys seeds. we give them away. I will generally pull the most picturesque pods out to take seeds from to send out.

peppercicles are a novel idea.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Jtight, i have had 2 dehydraters running non-stop for almost 2 months. Have vacuum sealed and froze, and sliced and pickled enough to last me more than a year. Like Judo said we trade and give seeds away here. I had 750 pepper plants this year, so i have fifty million seeds. I would normally save the seeds cause i donate my extra seed to a seed bank, but these are end of the season peppers and were picked before they were fully ripe so they won't get used for seed with my name on them. Jason, any good seed you can save you should. I donate mine to a seed bank that is non-profit they give them away to members who want them. John

• jtight
    10 years ago

Selling was just a suggestion to those outside of this forum (i.e., Amazon). Granted there are millions of avail seeds, you could poss. help supplement some of the growing costs.

scorpion_john - appreciate the openness of giving away/trading w/in this forum.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Judo, made a bunch of this stuff to make sauces at a later time. I ended up with 10 pints and 12 half pints. I canned mine though so i don't have to refrigerate it. Turned out pretty good. Check out the colors

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

awesome. I approve.

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

hot pantry!

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Thanks, i also pickled a dozen pints of superhots. One of these are going in the fridge at work. I will bet they don't disappear as fast as the other condiments i put in there. Lol

• Chad5
    10 years ago

Wow, those are some nice looking jars. Tasty and decorative!

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Those do look amazing!

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Actually, i couldn't get the cam on my phone to do them justice. The contrast and colors wouldn't show well no matter what i tried. But thanks for the nice comments. John

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Actually, i couldn't get the cam on my phone to do them justice. The contrast and colors wouldn't show well no matter what i tried. But thanks for the nice comments. John

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio