10 years ago

the season is winding down . how did everyone do this year

Comments (16)

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

you win.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

You win! Wow that's insane! Great job, is that an over winter or first year?

• kypepperman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

from seed, started jan 28 or 29 2013

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

That's insane growth, you got some amazing ferts I don't know about? I am roughly in the same zone. Does the ground make that much of a difference. Looks like its a row mound covered in black plastic? I would love to have a plant that large.

Mark

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Do you still have some reaper seeds? I was hoping you were still thinking about sending some my way.

Tim

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

Can't seem to find a large enough Camera maybe i could try multiple shots and make a puzzle of it .... jk will try to update some photos soon i am squeezing 1 more month out of my ladies .

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

This dinosaur is over 10 feet long... it made this huuge pepper plant its home!

Seriously though, I 'rescued' this plant from my garden at about 12" tall (sad and dying) and transplanted it into a homemade 'earthbox'. Except i didnt use water, i used hydroponic solution (12G Masterblend 4-18-38, 12G Calcium Nitrate, 6G Magnesium sulfate.) I am literally never growing in the ground again. This plant is now 10x bigger than any of the ones i had in the ground (previously 1/4 of their size).

Its hard to tell because i keep losing count, but i think there are well over 500 pods on this plant.

I will get a zoomed out picture posted eventually, this is all i have currently.

• wjp4140
    10 years ago

Ok, so it's not huge. This was my first ghost plant, bought late last year as a seeding and kept over winter indoors. I keep wanting to make some earthtainers. Thanks for the hydroponic solution suggestion.

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

If you try it get ready to mix up a lot of solution... this monster drinks about 2 gallons a day on average! At least watering like this it is virtually all going to the plant (unlike traditional watering methods where most of the water drains away or evaporates)

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

Here are some photos:
    This bamboo stick is holding the branches off the ground, they are heavy with peppers.

A closer look:

Another angle:

and another:

If I lift some of the heavy branches up you can see the 'earthbox' clone i made... Which I am going to start calling a HYDROBOX from now on:

has anyone seen my snausers?

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

kypepperman - Wow - great pepper plant, I love it!!

Pepper Rancher - I've grown plants for a few years now in a couple homemade earth boxes but nothing as bountiful as yours. I'll have to try your solution next year.

Sandy

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

Great looking plants everyone ......it has been a odd season weather wise and a lot of people got late starts but you can't really tell it from the photos kypepperman how tall is your largest plant this season ?

• tn_gardening
    10 years ago

Here is a snapshot of a couple of my poblano plants that grew well over my privacy fence (u can also see my lil black cuban in the photo with it's purple blooms, too).

This picture was taken Aug 17th. The plant kept growing taller and filled out even more until I recently began to prune it in preparation for cooler temps.

• kypepperman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

78 inches is my tallest which is the one shown.

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

very nice Kypeepperman.... btw i sent you a email when you get some free time .

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

Sandy (or anyone else...)
    I got the Masterblend and Calcium Nitrate from Morgan County Seeds (where i get all my 'greens' seeds). The more you buy the cheaper the cost, let me know if anyone is interested in splitting up a larger order of nutes...

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH