Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loweride

5th Grader Took a Bhut Jolokia to school today

loweride
9 years ago

I gave a couple Bhut Jolokias to a buddy yesterday, because he said his 5th grade son likes hot stuff and wanted to try it. Today, he told me that he took one to school to share with one of his classmates that also likes hot stuff.

My jaw dropped and I told him I'd never let my son do that. Supposedly, his plan was to cut it in half, eat one half himself and share the other half with his friend. I'm assuming he will have no gloves and will get it all over his fingers (and more).

I told him to let me know how that works out and let me know if the school goes on lock-down.

Comments (17)

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

my youngest would eat them in 5th or 6th grade. Bhuts as hot as he will go though. he is in 9th now. last year someone brought Ghost peppers to school trying to be cool. my son told him the were cayanne and a Ghost was a Bhut. LOL ... John

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Yeah, I can't see that ending well. I wonder what he plans on using to cut it. That may get him in even bigger trouble these day

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

my youngest would eat them in 5th or 6th grade. Bhuts as hot as he will go though. he is in 9th now. last year someone brought Ghost peppers to school trying to be cool. my son told him the were cayanne and a Ghost was a Bhut. LOL ... John

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

sorry, everytime i post with my phone it seems to double it. anyone know why?

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Well, that is going to cause major problems. With schools zero tolerance, a ghost chili can cause serious problems should he cut it open and share.

Hope the kid does not get suspended for this.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I shared some Ghosts with a few high school students this year....but I made sure that they would eat them at home. Don't want a repeat from last year's Chocolate Ghost......

Josh

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

My uncle told me about an article in the paper a couple of weeks ago. Not kids, just a farm south of here growing bhuts. They sell them for $1 each, with a warning.

I've got 1 bih this year, waiting for it to ripen but no way I'm going to eat it. I will wear gloves when I cut it open for seed. I *might* put it in a batch of jelly but I don't even know about that. Maybe, in case I find a chilehead at market next year!

So what happened with the kid(s)?

Josh, I haven't heard the chocolate ghost story.

I've got some ripe Aji Limons now, DS wants to try them on the freshmen at the cross country banquet, I'm thinking he should take Hinkelhatz instead. I think my jalapenos are hotter than usual this year, those might even be enough if someone takes a big bite!

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

The BihJ might not be enough to really heat up a batch of jam - depends on how big a batch. I do think it's a good use for it if you are (rightly) afraid of more direct uses.

Dennis

9 years ago

Pam,
    I've been bringing hots and superhots to school for several years now, and never had a problem....other than students vomiting after attempting to eat them! My Chocolate Hab / Red Bhut cross was uploaded to a facebook page after a student threw it up, hahaha.

Anyhow, last year, I shared a Chocolate Ghost with a student who has a high tolerance. Long story short, he shared a small nibble with some other kid....and that kid had a panic attack and went to the hospital. He was fine, of course.

Josh

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Oh about 7 half pints. I was thinking of using instead of (or with, if you think it won't be hot enough) the Hinkelhatz I usually use in the Gold recipe. I just have to label that batch as the extra-hot version.

I'm surprised that Southington farm does enough business to bother growing bhuts, though at $1/pod it doesn't take many to show a profit. I wonder how many takers they have?

I sold 1 Hinkelhatz this year, a few years ago I had a young vendor boasting he could handle heat and I gave him a really small one, he cut off a piece with his jackknife and ate it, started gasping and sweating. People around here just don't know hot.

DH shrugs at Hinkelhatz, I'm going to try the Aji Limon (if that's what it really is, it's Burpee seed but looks right) on him. I don't know if he could handle a straight bih but he might enjoy the jelly.

I just made a batch of salsa, I usually put 1/2C of hot (serrano, jalapeno) and 1.5C of sweet peppers in a 6 pint batch, this time I put 1C of each and the jalapenos were hotter than usual, that should be enough for him but I think it's going to be too hot for me. It was very unusual this year, I had a ripe orange (?) jalapeno, even the green Jalapeno Gigantes seem extra hot, but this one almost blistered my lip when I touched it to it to see if it was a hot or sweet (my sweet orange minis are more flattened than conical though). I'm saving seed from that one ;-)

As usual, I didn't wear gloves and the fingertips on my left hand are sill tingling though the lip/tongue aren't any more.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Josh - are you a teacher?

Sheila

• loweride
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds like there was no problem. I haven't heard the details, but he didn't have to go pick up his kid at school

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

> "Oh about 7 half pints. I was thinking of using instead of (or with, if you think it won't be hot enough) the Hinkelhatz I usually use in the Gold recipe."

On the second cook of the strawberry/hab jam, I added a caramel bhut and four makos. The caramel bhut isn't as hot as a ghost, but is pretty spicy. (Mako is medium range.) They upped the heat a notch, but didn't dominate. I'd say add to your normal Gold recipe and enjoy!

Dennis

9 years ago

Sheila, yes, indeed.

Josh

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

XC team dinner is tomorrow night. DS is supposed to bring drinks but he's tending toward the Hinkelhatz. He think Aji Limon might be too hot for the froshs.

A couple years ago the team captain brought hot sauce that supposedly had ghosts in it (I don't know if it was homemade, I can ask his father if he grows them/makes sauce) and just dipped a toothpick in for each kid and some kids about died just licking their toohpicks.

I had not quite a pint of salsa left I thought was hot enough, and some tomato soup in the fridge, added some canned corn and black beans for "salsa soup". I thought it was good, but DH had to add srichacha to it - he was sweating. I told him he should try the Aji Limon but he said he doesn't like eating hot peppers, just likes food with hot peppers/sauce in it. But maybe he'll try 1. DS didn't add quite as much to his but geez, I can't make anything hot enough for these guys (though of course if I'm eating it too, I don't want to - that salsa is all theirs!).

loweride - glad there were no repercussions. My 5th grader couldn't believe the kid did that - of course she doesn't even like bell peppers. I told her "boys do stuff like that - like your brother and the freshmen tomorrow night?"

• seysonn
    9 years ago

For the 5th or 6th grader that is too much. HS kids might be ok, the way Josh has done it: TAKE IT HOME BOYS!

I am no kid but I have eaten, orange Hab, red Hab , Lemon Drop, and Manzano. The hottest has been red Hab. That is the limit that I can handle without panicking. I snack on serrano, Jalaps, HHW regularly. Tonight I ate 2 serranos with my dinner. But even then I am not quite a chilihead though.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Update: DS took 2 Hinkelhatz and 1 hotter pepper that was from saved HH seed but was obviously a cross, it was smaller and not as wrinkled so I didn't want to save seed, though I didn't know it was hotter. He tried 1 before he left, I was going to give him 4 (he said he'd just give each guy a tiny piece), he ate the whole thing in 1 bite and went running for the milk. Then tried saltines, ended by rinsing his mouth out with milky water. (I've still got some if anyone wants seeds LOL).

He said the froshs didn't try any, but 1 asked him to bring Aji Limon to school - I refuse to send a whole one since I don't want kid to chomp in 1 bite (esp. in school), I don't know if he's used to habs or hotter, if not that will be too hot for him.

A couple of juniors split the other HH and thought it was pretty hot
    but a sophomore ate a whole HH and DS said he was in pretty bad distress. A senior ate one of the kind that sent DS running for the milk and wasn't bothered but said he's eaten ghosts.