Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gfinnil

damn squirrels

gfinnil
10 years ago

Awful little creatures ate my last Caribbean Red last week, left only the seeds and placenta :( I threw this chewed up mess in a cup and woke up to this today...take that rodent scum, hope it burned like Hell.
Jerry

Comments (10)

• tsheets
    10 years ago

yikes! I'm surprised any mammal would eat a Caribbean Red. I had deer chomping on tomatoes, but, they didn't touch the peppers, not even the milder ones. I don't think the squirrels bothered much, at least I didn't notice it.

• mspeppajo
    10 years ago

That squirrel must have been in serious need of a colon cleansing!! I can't figure out any other reason it would do for that pepper!!! Got a little impacted with eating too many nuts!!! My son said keep your eyes open for a squirrel acting like Hammy from Over the Hedge and you will have your culprit!!!!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Unbelievable. I have heard that they spray bird seeds with hot pepper sauce and squirrel wont mess with it. It sounds strange for a squirrel to eat a super hot pepper.

• HotHabaneroLady
    10 years ago

That is so odd!! I actually mix chili powder in with bird seed to discourage the squirrels from dumping out the bird feeders. It works beautifully! And I thought the whole point of peppers evolving heat was to discourage mammals from eating their seeds while encouraging birds to eat them!

I have problems with squirrels digging in pots where I am growing sweet peppers, but they never go near my habaneros!

Angie

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Must have been a rabid squirrel, unless it developed a taste for heat, if that's the case keep him outta here! Where I used to live we had crazy ninja squirrels that would every year dig holes into our fall decoration of whole pumkins, just to get the seeds. They did go after my peppadew's only to leave them with bite marks for me to find all over the ground they were not shredded open just teeth marks then they hit the road with mouths burning.

Mark

• User
    10 years ago

Ah, probably a result of some squirrel gang initiation thing. Squirrel gangs are a nasty bunch.

• gfinnil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Damn...already have Latin Kings, now I have to worry about Squirrels N' The Hood...I need to move south, that's all there is to it ;)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

HMMM, are you sure it was a squirrel? I love the idea of super hot powder/spray/sauce on the bird feeder seed to keep the squirrels away. I have quit putting out seed feeders due to the squirrels pigging out on it. The damn things even torment me in the summer by rooting around my pepper plants in my above ground garden. I am running out of .22 shells and they are hard to come by in the stores.
    TREE RATS!!!
    Bruce

• User
    10 years ago

Hey Bruce, didn't work for me.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Due to miss behaving squirrels we too had to quit filling the feeders late summer. Once we close the cabin for the winter we will be home on weekends and the feeders will be kept full. Sat/Sun morning activity for John is to have coffee, read paper, and wait with his friend Mr BB and greet the squirrels.

Great pic Bill :)

Sponsored