Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emcd124

Two new crosses: Think they're worth developing?

emcd124
9 years ago

I'm relatively new to hot pepper gardening. Last year I received seed from some generous enthusiasts on there and was assured that I didnt need to worry about them crossing because actual incidence of crossing was low.

This year when I replanted my saved seeds I discovered not one, but TWO different accidental crosses.

The first produces 3 lobed yellow/orange peppers with relatively thick walls resembling elongated mini bell peppers in shape, each approximately 2.5 inches long and 22-26 g in weight. These are not terribly productive (though this was a bad year for peppers in the chilly north of Z5).

The second seems like it might be a genuinely interesting new pepper. For starters, it is early and productive as all get out. They are 26-28g in weight, slightly larger than a jalapeno but the same shape, ripening to red. But I started seed for these in May and as of mid September I had harvested TWENTY EIGHT ripe peppers from it. They were ready about a week earlier than my Fresno peppers and have 2-3x the productivity.

The taste of both is good (IMO) and hot. I'm not enough of a pepper expert to characterize them more explicitly (eg are they "fruity" or whatever). A single one of the ripe red peppers in a stir fry produces a delightful mellow heat that suffuses the entire dish without being too overpowering in any one bite. They also ferment into a very tasty hot sauce.

I know that pepper breeding is not quite the frantic industry that tomato breeding is, so I thought I would ask those of you on here: do either of these sound like something worth working to develop more? I've got the pile of saved seed they both came from, as well as seeds saved from both plants (so the F1 and F2 seed, where these currently growing are F1). And if you are located near northern Indiana and just want me to mail you a fresh pepper to try, drop me a line!

I can also dig up and try to overwinter my plant.

Thoughts deeply appreciated. If I'm overly enamored of them just because they are random and they're mine and its not worth making a big effort about them, I want to know. But if some of the characteristics of them (eg the early and productive nature of the red F1) are something that strike even seasoned pepper growers as a nice addition to the slate available, I'd like to know that too.

I have photos but my phone is dead so I'll have to load them into the comments when I get home.

Comment (1)