Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardendrivenlife

seedling variation

gardendrivenlife
10 years ago

I have 2 Red Savina plants, both taken care of approx the same way. The one is a normal producing plant, and the other is: a little smaller in size, leaves are more crinkled, and has only produced one pod despite blooming. I believe it's just normal diversity when planting seed. I will rethink the idea of planting just one plant of a type. I'm glad I planted 2! Something to consider...

Gary

Comments (7)

• kclost
    10 years ago

Is there any chance of exposure to any kind of a herbicide for the one plant. Particularly in the soil.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I would argue that given they've produced pods, they're no longer seedlings. it's funny, some of the strongest looking seedlings turned out to be the least healthy plants, and some of the seedlings I was about to give up on and cull from the herd turned out to be some of the strongest. next year for most the varieties I intend to grow I'll only be planting one of each, but I'll be starting multiple seeds of each. my original idea was to keep the one that sprouted first, but given my experiences with the strongest seedlings not turning out to be the strongest plants, I think I'll keep the SECOND strongest looking seedling. then again, I told myself I'd only keep the strongest one of each this year, and I ended up keeping all of them. lack of willpower, I guess.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

> "some of the strongest looking seedlings turned out to be the least healthy plants, and some of the seedlings I was about to give up on and cull from the herd turned out to be some of the strongest"

Yep. Search for "Immortal Beloved" for the tale of a tiny crippled bhut seedling that grew up to be a great bhut tree. [film at 11]

My now biggest Scorpion was 6" tall after 3 months of growth. Then some dryad threw the switch and Hallelujah! stand back.

Now as to the particulars, the fact that the little one has crinkly leaves means that there is a difference, probably in soil. Give it more calcium in e.g. the form of epsom salts. The current leaves won't un-crinkle but new ones will be straight and the plant will do better.

Dennis

• gardendrivenlife
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess I meant to say OP plants will show genetic differences that can show up in different ways. Even in production. So, rather than putting all your hope into just one plant; plant more than one and choose your seeds from the best plant and best pods. If I had only planted the bad one, I possiblly never would have given it another try.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Dennis: Epsom salts don't contain Ca. Sure you didn't mean Mg?

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 19:37

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Uhhh.. yep. It's all so cornfusing...

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Seedlings grow from seeds. There are good seeds and bad seeds. It is true in the animals' world as it is in plants' word.
    That explains why some seeds won't germinate, some will germinate at different rate(in terms of time), not all at the exact time.
    JMO.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH