Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uses for Ornamental Peppers

Posted by UncleJohn z4 NH (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 13, 05 at 14:30

I have been contemplating possible uses for my ornamentals. The Bolivian Rainbows and Pretty In Purples are quite similar: medium-small fruit, very hot, fairly thin skinned, lots of seeds.

Does anyone here use their ornamentals as edibles? If so, how?

I am considering pickling them (they would make beautiful pickles), but they have so many seeds that I would need to seed each first.

Drying them would be another option; I suppose I could seed them fairly easily after they have been dried.

Finally, they might be good for hot sauce (the vinegar type).

Any ideas?

-John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uses for Ornamental Peppers

I just dry small peppers and grind them whole, seeds and all.

John

o

• Posted by Byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 13, 05 at 18:06

UJ

I dry the small ones then crush them and then seperate the seeds

o

Just to be clear: you dry and crush even *ornamental* peppers (as opposed to other small peppers like Thai.

o

Sure. Most of the small peppers--ornamental or otherwise are used mostly for heat.

john

o

Fri, Oct 14, 05 at 19:09

UJ

Yes, it's a royal PITA to try to seperate seeds from a small pepper, Drying and crushing can say you hours of prep time

o

Yeah, I was amazed at how packed full of seeds the Bolivian Rainbows and PIPs are. They are basically balls o' seeds.

o

Many of the ornamentals will practically dry on the plant if you allow it. But to keep them flowering it is best to remove the peppers as soon as they start to shrivel. Drying and crushing with the stem removed would allow for the most diversified uses: pizza seasoning, sauses, salad flavoring.

Some peppers like the pretty purple might lend themselves well to making fancy hors d'oeuvres if you want to take the time to stuff them. for a practical use ornamental I always preferred Treasures Red. It has a chile pepper size and heat. Many of the smaller fruited types are just too much work for the return.

o

I haven't tried this with the small ornamentals though it's a thought. A mixture of colors might be pretty too.

I pack green tabascos whole in a shaker bottle (like a soy sauce bottle) and fill the bottle with a hot brine (ratio: 1 cup of white vinegar to 1 level teaspoon of salt) brought to a boil just before adding to the bottle. Let sit overnight and then refrigerate.

o

I have had the dark purple(almost black) ornamentals for the past 3 years.I grew them because i really liked their color,never dreaming they would re-seed themselves.The plants are gorgeous,and while i and my family don't eat them,my neighbors do,so i allow them to come and pick whatever they want.
kathi

o

John,
As long as your *ornamental peppers* are actually a Capsicum sp. they are edible...for instance Jerusalem is sometimes labled "Ornamental Pepper". Both belong to the family Solanaceae, but the later is NOT edible.

Vera

o

...that should have said Jerusalem Cherry :)
and the scientific name: Solanum pseudocapsicum

Vera

o

Hello, I'm wanting to trade for Ornamental Pepper seeds to see if the peppers are good compost plants and a nice pretty indoor plants.

[P.S. I want a dried pepper to make shur it's a cone looking pepper, not round cherry looking pepper like the peppers of the Chrstimas Cherry and Jerusalem Cherry.]

o

Never mind I bought some ornamental peppers by a catalog.

o

Thu, Dec 15, 05 at 20:34

FWIW

Jerusalem Cherry and false Jerusalem Cherry are toxic until red ripe

o

Ornamental Peppers are pepper when they are ripe and don't turn pink, orange, and then red?

I think the catalog I ordered from missed named there pepper?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here