rodnebridges

overwintering

rodnebridges
10 years ago

who's started it already ?

Comments (31)

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

im buying a greenhouse tomorrow from harbor freight! Im so excited!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

There you go. Problem solved.

I am building a Cold Frame tomorrow. This way I can try to overwinter couple of small pepper plants and make other uses next spring. Next best thing to HF greenhouse.

• missyga64
    10 years ago

I moved all of my potted plants into the garage. Moving them to my brothers green house next week.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I have brought 3 plants in for the Winter - A 7-Pot Brain Strain, Bhut Jolokia, and a Boonie.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Well that's the problem, isn't it? Which ones get to be immortal? I've eliminated the volunteers (would have to dig them), 4 mammoth jalapenos (the regular japs blow them away for production), and one of Bill's 7 Pot crosses that is not true to either parent.

Will probably also drop: 3 of 3 Japones (all three are different forms and I don't have a use for them anyway), the "Black Cobra" that is really just a goat pepper, 2 of 2 Korean Dk. Greens, 1 of 2 Red Fatalii (poor production), 1 of 3 Scorpions (not true to form), the Anaheim (poor production), possibly others.

That should still leave me with too many.

Missy, IMO too soon to go into greenhouse, unless you are getting great sun the in GH and don't have to prune much. This is the Deep South, after all...

Good luck!
    Dennis

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    10 years ago

Had anyone tried to overwinter peppers in dormant state? I have no greenhouse and I donâÂÂt want to overwinter them in the house (too messy). IâÂÂd like try to remove all leaves/green stems and store them in dark cold frost free cellar in dormant state. I used to grow brugmansias (from Solanaceae family) and thatâÂÂs how they always overwintered for me with high degree of success. IâÂÂd like to try the same with peppers, but IâÂÂd like to know if there were precedents.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I've never heard of that working, green_go. I suspect it wouldn't work, but, can't really say 100% for sure. On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to try, and maybe even report back in the Spring.

• missyga64
    10 years ago

Dennis, I think the greenhouse is will be much better than my garage. . . the side wall is actually 2 doors that open wide like a barn. They will get all day sun too. .. and I wont have to lug them in and out every day.

I've decided to cut back the Choc Ghost after all the pods are ripe and ship the 'stump and root ball out to my grandson. Indoor overwintering will be the mystery pepper no one can identify , devils tongue, scotch bonnet and a bhut Jolokia. . . the rest will be cut back and stored in the garage and we will see what happens.

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

I have a little uninsulated greenhouse from palram. The harbour freight one was tempting to me but I like to admire the plants from the kitchen.,so went with this choice. They do not insulate at all - just save the plants from wind and hard rains or snow.
    I've got a heater in there right now and it is a toasty room. I'll worry about the gas bill when I get it and that is what will make the decision as to how long this will go on for.

• cjohansen
    10 years ago

We had frost as early as late September. One of my Poblanos have been inside for a while already. I've never done this before, but I cut the root ball down to a minimum, and cut down most of the foliage and branches.

I have one Poblano in a 1 gallon pot, and two Habaneros and an Aji Limon in half gallon pots. Except for a small aphid infestion last week, they're doing great. The Poblano has grown bigger than before I took it in, the others have lots of great-looking deep green foliage and more new growth.

I have Poblano in the kitchen where it'll get sun for as long as there is sun (days are very short during winter here), and the others are in my office by a window (not much direct sun). I pick off buds as they appear, water once every other week, and otherwise leave them alone. So far so good, hope it lasts.

• barbge
    10 years ago

I brought in a habanero, jalapeno, thai pepper, poblano, and cayenne, and they're in the basement under a 200W equivalent CFL. So far, so good. In fact, they're actually growing more inside under the light than they were outside. They seem to like the temperature better inside. We're frosting frequently now in MN.... :(

• scott123456
    10 years ago

This is my first attempt at overwintering. I brought in nine plants. Well ten but I lost a jalapeno in record time. I brought in a Red carribean, 2 scotch bonnets, a golden hab, a few Carolina reapers, cayane blend, and a cherry. I pruned them back (probably not far enough) killed the bugs and brought them in. After the initial leaf drop they seem to be doing well. The entire plant looks good except a few of the leaf tips are turing brown. Any idea what this is? should I be concerned ? Anything I need to do to fix it? Should I prune them back more? Any tips would be much appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Scott

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Another pic

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Another

• scott123456
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention they have been inside for a month now and they are all lined up next to a heating register. I cut back the watering and fertilizing. I water once a week and fertilize with a weak fertilizer ever other week.

• scott123456
    10 years ago

One more

• tsheets
    10 years ago

If that's an old leaf, I'd just pull it. They will all drop eventually anyway and you've got a lot of new growth already. If the new growth looks healthy, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

• scott123456
    10 years ago

ok thank you. Anyone have any greenhouse experience in harsh winters? I was thinking about getting a greenhouse but we get some pretty harsh winters here (lake effect snow) I am not sure how one would hold up or how well it would keep the plants alive. If I canâÂÂt keep plants alive in it all winter long then it is really not worth it to me. I am not going to get one if it will only get me aextra month or so on both sides. Please let me know if you have any experience with them.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Depends on the greenhouse. Surely there are commercial and hobby growers in your area with greenhouses. In addition to the GH, you'd need a heater, some sort of thermostatic control, optionally a ventilator since GHs can get too hot. Just depedns on what you can afford.

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response. Anything is possible if you have enough $$$. I guess what I am asking is if a simple GH, that is basically a big cold frame with ventilation, would do the trick? I have had my eye on one that is a 9 x 12 and goes for around $2500 in my neck of the woods. Would it stay warm enough or would I have to supplement heat? Would it stay warm enough to keep the snow off of it? Would I be out there four times a week clearing snow off of it and scraping ice? I imagine if it gets covered with snow it would become an ice box instead of a greenhouse or it might just collapse under the weight. Then again it might be warm enough so when the snow hits it, it just melts away. I donâÂÂt know I have never had experience with one.
    Thanks,
    Scott

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

You can buy a heck of a lot of stuff for 2500! My little set up including heater only cost about $1200- it's half the size you're looking for, so would be in your budget. I must heat mine as soon as the temps drop. I used pails of water and a water trough with water heated by my home made solar water heater to moderate the overnight lows. It worked and two kerosene lanterns (Leimans $30) kept the temps 5F above outside at night but now that the night time lows are hitting freezing and below I needed a heater.
    The roof holds umpty pounds of weight and has a good slope so I am not worried about snow. If you're planning on flexible plastic for your roof you will definitely either need to keep it very warm or rake the snow off of it.
    I have had my hobby greenhouse now since late spring and this has been a real learning curve. I wanted it totally off grid and have some solar fans inside, used solar power to operate the water heater pump etc, but this cold forced me to install gas heating.
    If you do get one, you will not regret it - no matter how marginal the gain. You'll have fun figuring out ways to control it's environment and stick your tongue out at Mother Nature!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Winter greenhouse up north hav to have a especial design.

FIRST, it has to face SOUTH_SOUTHWEST.
    And because winter sun is low You dont need glass/plastic roof. Insulate it. Also, insulate NORTH_NORTHEAST.

Practically, if you orient just one long side with glass toward SOUTH_SOUTHWEST, you can insulate the roof and all remaining 3 sides. This way, it will be easy and less costly to keep it heated at nights because you have reduce heat loss considerably.
    A practical greenhouse does not need to be a glass house.

JMO>

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

Yes, insulating would be wonderful if your budget allows it and for the size you would like and yes, the direction you face is important - it is the longest side that should face S/SW - not the narrow end where the door is.
    That said - heat gain during the sunlight hours on the south/southwest side will NOT be retained for any length of time after the sun sets unless you have a giant heat sink. I have digital thermometers set up both inside and outside the greenhouse to follow the variances. The temperature declines at night keep pace- virtually lock step on both thermometers. That is without heating the GH.
    There are a lot of theories out there about just how much the sun will help but let's face it, when it's less than 32F or someone mentioned -40 outside no plastic structure without heat/insulation is going to save your plants.
    The sun is already weakening so much that after it stops raining and before the snow comes I am going to dismantle my solar panel array and store them for next year.

You may also need a sunshade for that south facing area in the summer. I made my own and on a few of the 100+ F days, it sure saved the plants from being broiled.

This is just my opinion about heat loss/retention and only from conclusions derived from my hands on experience, so far.

• scott123456
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the replies. Great information and sure to help during my quest.

Thanks again,
    Scott

• jtight
    10 years ago

Brand new to forum, appreciate any help. My questions are similar in nature to this thread.

Live in zone 8 and started growing Ghosts a/ Scorps last year. Did pretty good which inspired me to try and get a bigger operation this year. Throughout the course of the summer I was able to build a garden (10x20) and plant 8 Scorps and 40 Ghost. Got several harvest on the Scorps but the Ghosts are just now coming in, this in part to them being seeded a little late.

I hopes to save my garden I purchased a ShelterLogic greenhouse (10x20x8) and installed it. I have 100ft of GroLogic soil heat cables buried in ground along w/ a 80 ft hydration system. So I think I got that part right. :)

My questions are:
    1. Do I need an add'l above ground heater
    2. Should this system work to keep the plants alive
    3. For purposes of humidity control (against temp) should I leave the vents open

Appreciate any help.

Here are a few pics of the grow operation

• jtight
    10 years ago

outside of greenhouse

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

1,2,3) I don't think you're going to find anyone who knows this. The in-ground heater is great but the air temp is critical, and how well the ground heat the air depends on how well sealed the shelter is.

Fortunately in Zone 8 you won't have a blizzard to worry about. I'd say keep a temporary heat source available and closely monitor the temps to see if you need it. See if you can find a recording thermometer.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

As long as it stays above freezing, they will be ok. Ideally, lows in the 50's on the low end, but, they will still be fine down to the 40's.

That's a heck of a setup you got there, BTW!!

• jtight
    10 years ago

DMForcier - Appreciate info. Any suggestions on 120v electric heaters. I cannot use propane nor do I have a 240v outlet/circuit nearby

tsheets - My hope is that I can keep the interior temp (near soil) at ~50 min. w/ the soil heat cables. I just feel like there is too much interior space above the plants to try a/ maintain the entire structure at 70. :)

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

Jtight, I'm really envious of the size of your green house!

What zone are you in or what are your nightly lows going to be?

Plants like a fair amount of humidity and mine are not suffering from moisture collecting on the inside of the walls. They are not dripping, but certainly not dry. I figure that ventilating at this time of year would just be letting the precious heat out and I am not prepared to pay the price to single handedly advance global warming!

If you have too much air space, you can literally partition the area- stakes and light plastic drapes over the row. Virtually a greenhouse within a greenhouse creating another layer of insulation - albeit thin but with good results according to everything I've read. This will take you to some absolutely fascinating ideas that with a little imagination can be inexpensive to duplicate.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Sunspace/sunspaces.htm#GreenhouseHeat

I have been studying publications regarding greenhouses since the spring- the above being just one of hundreds.

The universities have really great information. Quite often they are in pdf form which can be downloaded - yup, at night I read them on my kindle.

My gh is too small to subdivide but I have tried some of their other ideas and had fun and some success too.

• jtight
    10 years ago

Lori - Ha... Kind of combined to forums into one w/ my response in the winter GH thread. :) Either way am reading your link above. Tks again

Sponsored
Your Source for Tailored Remodeling Solutions in Loudoun County